Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Deploying an ActiveX component in a CAB file, problem

Deploying an ActiveX component in a CAB file, problem

Chris Dunaway

I have created an .OCX in VB6 for use on a web page. I created a .cab file
and placed this file on the web server and updated the web page with the
<OBJECT> tag with the correct guid, etc.

When I hit the web page, it prompts me and asks if I want to download and
install the component. I click yes and it appears to go through the
motions of downloading the .cab, etc. But the control never appears on the
web page. When I check the registry, the ocx (and its dependencies) are
not registered. In fact, I can't see that the ocx is even on the system
anywhere. If I manually install and register the ocx, then the web page
works fine.

I'm relatively inexperienced with web development. I used the Package and
Deployment wizard to create the .cab package. The .cab seems to be created
properly, but I am at a loss as to why the files are not getting installed.

The user control is quite small, has a couple of 3rd party ocx's, all of
which seem to be present in the .cab and it's associated .INF file.

The security settings on the client machine are set to allow downloads and
scripting of controls. The control is marked as safe for scripting, but is
not signed.

I'm sure that there is something elementary that I'm missing, but I need
some help to determine what it is.

Thanks in advance

--
Chris

To send me an E-mail, remove the underscores and lunchmeat from my E-Mail
address.

Ray at

www.aspfaq.com/5003

Ray at work

news:1vivwn15tj1sl.7i2re4ba4odg$(E-Mail Removed)...