Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > seek for help

seek for help

chris

Hi All,

I got a question about connecting the SQL server database with a asp page. I
just wanna know if I got a asp page in a location A and wanna connect to the
SQL database in a server with IP address 144.214.87.11 through the Internet,
then how can I configure in the SQL Server 2000?? I'm just a newbie, please
help. Many thanks!!

Chris Barber

.... 'through the internet' ...

Security, security and more security.

1. Through a NAT on the router that is connected to the internet (directs
traffic on 1433 - consider changing the internet side listening port to
something other than the standard 1433 to avoid scanners) to point to the
internal SQL server.
But, make sure you *lock* down the logins such as 'sa' etc and never login
with a user that is a sysadmin role. Make sure you get a lot of advice and
preferably read a book on SQL security first.
2. Use the SQL Server web XML interface for requests in XML format (can be
reconverted to classic ADO recordset easily). Easier to manage security etc.
for this since you only configure specific things to be available through
it.
3. Use a secured VPN to make sure the traffic is encrypted. This allows full
access to the SQL server via IP address and keeps nosy prying internet eyes
from trying to get at it.

Hope this gives you a few pointers.

Chris.

"William Tasso" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
chris wrote:
> ...I just wanna know if I got a asp page in a location A and wanna
> connect to the SQL database in a server with IP address 144.214.87.11
> through the Internet, then how can I configure in the SQL Server
> 2000??

Just a little o/t for this goup, but IIRC there isn't much you have to do
with SQLServer apart from setting up the users with the necessary
permissions.

--
William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com