Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Calling exe that accesses DB from ASP

Calling exe that accesses DB from ASP

Earl

If calling an exe that accesses a database from an ASP
page, does the Provider string to connect to the database
from inside the exe need to have the user as
being "IUSR..." or something since it is an anonymous
Internet user accessing the ASP page?

Any help/advice would be appreciated about potential
problems/concerns when calling an exe from an ASP and
then subsequently accessing a database from within that
exe. Is there a problem having forms in the exe, even
though they are not being loaded or shown during
processing? Is there a problem calling the exe with a
command line string from the ASP page? Does the exe see
the current user as being the "IUSR..." user since it was
called from an ASP page? Is it necessary to have each
called procedure write to a text file just to have the
prodedure execute it's code? The reason I ask that is
because at one point at least, it seemed as though the
program would jump from one procedure into the next only
if I was to make the procedure being called write at
least one line to a text file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much
for your time.

Earl

Bob Barrows

Earl wrote:
> If calling an exe that accesses a database from an ASP

What kind of database?

> page, does the Provider string to connect to the database
> from inside the exe need to have the user as
> being "IUSR..." or something since it is an anonymous
> Internet user accessing the ASP page?

It depends on the type of database and the type of security being used by
the database.

> Any help/advice would be appreciated about potential
> problems/concerns when calling an exe from an ASP and
> then subsequently accessing a database from within that
> exe. Is there a problem having forms in the exe, even
> though they are not being loaded or shown during
> processing? Is there a problem calling the exe with a
> command line string from the ASP page? Does the exe see
> the current user as being the "IUSR..." user since it was
> called from an ASP page?

All code run in an asp page. and called by that asp page, is run under the
context of the IUSR account, unless the account has been configured to
masquerade as some other account

> Is it necessary to have each
> called procedure write to a text file just to have the
> prodedure execute it's code?

What would that solve?

> The reason I ask that is
> because at one point at least, it seemed as though the
> program would jump from one procedure into the next only
> if I was to make the procedure being called write at
> least one line to a text file.

That's bizarre. I fail to see what writing text to a text file has to do
with accessing a database.

Bob Barrows

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
"NO SPAM"

Earl

Thank You Bob,

The database is Access 2000. That is good to know that
it would be seen as using "IUSR..." account unless
something has been intentionally done to change that.

I agree that is bizarre that it appeared as though I
needed to write to a text file from each procedure to
have that procedure be acknowledged. You're right that
really has nothing to do with the database. It is just
another potential problem I've been having in trying to
have this ASP call the exe,which then accesses the
database.

Thank you for your time
Earl