Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Off-Topic: Public Access NNTP servers

Off-Topic: Public Access NNTP servers

CJM

Apologies for the OT post, but as you will see my options were limited:

In addition to all these wonderful NG's, I also need access to the
comp.infosystems.www.* NG's. The open nntp server I had found and was using
seems to have disappeared into the void, so now I am looking for an
alternative.

Obviously Google have their Groups service, but apart from having a terrible
UI, it takes 3-9 hours to get my posts updated, rather than the 5-15mins
with an nntp server.

I would have liked to use my home ISP's server but it requires I be
connected via their dial-up service to access it.

Does anyone know of any open nntp servers I can use? Or a more responsive
web-based system?

I'm afraid my luddite bosses are not in the mood to throw *any* money at
this, so budget is zero!

HELP!

Thanks

Chris

CJM

William,

Thanks for that.

I'd tried that server before, but couldnt gain access.

I assumed you knew what you were talking about, therefore there must be a
way through. My german is sadly lacking, but I managed to stumble across a
registration page for the English server (news.individual.net).

So I'm registered, and connected now! Thanks for your help.

PS. I also notice you hanging around the same NG's. I'm surprised there
aren't more ASPers across there....

Chris

CJM

"William Tasso" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23I$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'd consider there are two major reasons for their absence:
> o They keep a low profile because of the *nix/apache zealots - as if the
> server makes any difference to the quality of delivered markup.
> o So many ASP programmers are working on intranets where the principals of
> standards compliance (HTML) are simply not regarded as important -

BTDTGTTS
> but I'm ok now ;o)

Yeah, I found that too. But I'm getting more immune to the zealots. When
they remember to get to the point they can be quite helpful.

> I have one client that has worked exclusively in the intranet world.

Their
> latest project is an extranet and they are flapping about like fish out of
> water trying to control the browser environment. Unfortunately I have
> failed to convince them that sending over a P.O. will be more

cost-effective
> than plying me with curry and beer to tell them what type of band-aid they
> need to fix their latest self-induced 'problem'. /sighs oh well ....

Just what my current employers are like. 'But we only use IE!'. I try to
point out that the next version of IE will certainly be (almost)
standards-compliant, thus all out current pages will collapse in big heap!
They still only have the long-term planning capacity of a goldfish.

> btw: the news admins that look after the Berlin server are very helpful

and
> will (usually) add a group if asked.

No need. Have all the groups I want. Happy as a pig in poo!

Cheers

Michael D. Kersey

CJM wrote:
> Apologies for the OT post, but as you will see my options were limited:
>
> In addition to all these wonderful NG's, I also need access to the
> comp.infosystems.www.* NG's. The open nntp server I had found and was using
> seems to have disappeared into the void, so now I am looking for an

<snipped>
> Does anyone know of any open nntp servers I can use? Or a more responsive
> web-based system?

Visit http://www.newzbot.com/
Remember that Google is your friend:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search