Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > reading the input type=file tag with ie6 in asp

reading the input type=file tag with ie6 in asp

Joel Goldstick

I wanted to write a simple page to let me choose a directory and then list
the files in it. The end goal was to make an easy way to copy all the
file names in a directory. I tested with Opera7, Mozilla 1.4 and IE6 -- all
on windows XP Pro

Here is the code. In all three, when I select a file, the complete path
is displayed in the file input box. In Opera, reading the form field gives
me the same full path. But in IE and Moz I get only the filename -- none of
the path information.

Any ideas how to salvage this?

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd"
<head<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8"
<titleColumbusWebMakers.com-ListDirectory</title
<link href="../css/columbuswebmakers.css" type="text/css"
rel="stylesheet"
</head
<h1<a href= "../index.html"ColumbusWebMakers.com</a</h1
<pExperienced WebSite design and construction</p
directory. You can then highlight those names and copy them for use in
another application. First, select any file in the directory you wish to
display. Then press submit.
<form action="" method="post"
<input type="file" id ="FileList" name = "FileList"
<input type="submit"
</form
<%
function ListFiles()
dim fso, folder, files, f
dim sFiles, i, strFolderName

sFiles = ""
i = Request.Form.Count
for j = 1 to i
strLabels = strLabels & request.form.key(j) & ": " &
Request.Form.item(j)
& ", "
next
Response.write strLabels & vbCRLF

strFolderName = request.form.item("FileList")
if (strFolderName < "") then
set fso=CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
lastSlash = instrrev(strFolderName,"\")
response.write "<pLooking for files in " & strFolderName & "</p"
strFolderName = mid(strFolderName, 2, lastSlash - 1)
response.write "<pLooking for files in " & strFolderName & "</p"
set folder= fso.getFolder(strFolderName)
set files = folder.files

for each f in files
sFiles = sFiles & f.name & "<br"
next
response.write "<p" & sFiles & "</p"
end if

ListFiles = sFiles
end function

ListFiles

%</div

--
Joel Goldstick
http://www.ColumbusWebMakers.com

Ray at

1. Where are all your >'s?
2. You realize that this could only possibly work if you're browsing on the
webserver itself, yes?
3. The file input is for uploading a file from the client to the server.

Ray at home

news:(E-Mail Removed)...