Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Datetyp for text

Datetyp for text

Ray at

For apostrophes, see here. http://www.aspfaq.com/2035
For your odd characters, I believe if you change your datatype from varchar
to nvarchar (or from whatever to nwhatever), you can insert those
characters.

Ray at work

"Arun Wadhawan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3f732036$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello
>
> I would like to insert from a Form text to SQL Table. It works fine,

but
> only with special signs like apostroph, german signs it doesn't work. The
> error message is each time :
>

> Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Line 1: Incorrect syntax

near
> ' >>( speacial sign ) >>
>

> How can I manage this generally, I would also need to insert some kyrillic
> letters over this form to the SQL Table.
>
> Can I change the Datetyp on the SQL Server of the table ?
> Some other methods ?
> Thanks a lot
> Arun

Arun Wadhawan

Hello

I would like to insert from a Form text to SQL Table. It works fine, but
only with special signs like apostroph, german signs it doesn't work. The
error message is each time :

Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Line 1: Incorrect syntax near
' >>( speacial sign ) >>

How can I manage this generally, I would also need to insert some kyrillic
letters over this form to the SQL Table.

Can I change the Datetyp on the SQL Server of the table ?
Some other methods ?
Thanks a lot
Arun

Bob Barrows

Arun Wadhawan wrote:
> Hello
>
> I would like to insert from a Form text to SQL Table. It works
> fine, but only with special signs like apostroph, german signs it
> doesn't work. The error message is each time :
>

> Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Line 1: Incorrect
> syntax near ' >>( speacial sign ) >>
>

> How can I manage this generally, I would also need to insert some
> kyrillic letters over this form to the SQL Table.
>
> Can I change the Datetyp on the SQL Server of the table ?
> Some other methods ?
> Thanks a lot
> Arun

You should not have this problem if you use parameterized sql statements or
stored procedures.
Bob Barrows

WIlliam Morris

Ray's right. You're trying to insert Unicode characters. Your column
datatype should be nvarchar or ntext.

--
William Morris
Product Development, Seritas LLC

news:uj#(E-Mail Removed)...
> For apostrophes, see here. http://www.aspfaq.com/2035
> For your odd characters, I believe if you change your datatype from

varchar
> to nvarchar (or from whatever to nwhatever), you can insert those
> characters.
>
> Ray at work
>
> "Arun Wadhawan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3f732036$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello
> >
> > I would like to insert from a Form text to SQL Table. It works fine,

> but
> > only with special signs like apostroph, german signs it doesn't work.

The
> > error message is each time :
> >

> > Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Line 1: Incorrect syntax

> near
> > ' >>( speacial sign ) >>
> >

> > How can I manage this generally, I would also need to insert some

kyrillic
> > letters over this form to the SQL Table.
> >
> > Can I change the Datetyp on the SQL Server of the table ?
> > Some other methods ?
> > Thanks a lot
> > Arun

Arun Wadhawan

Thanks first.
I am already using the nvarchar for the column datetype. It should be a
bigger field for about some 300 letters. I will try to change it to ntext.

Greetigns arun

news:bkvj6v$6enio$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...