Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > HTML Versions

HTML Versions

Kenneth Keeley

Hi,
I have created a web site that works well on the computers I have control
over (all using IE5.0 or above). I have now set about rewritting the pages
to be more browser compatible, but firstly I would like to know what
versions of the most common browser support which levels of HTML. Ideally I
would like to use HTML version 4 and then place a warning on my home page
stating what version of browser software is required.

Can somebody help.

Curt_C [MVP]

Wrong place to ask really....
the HTML compatability is a property of the browser, not the server.
I'd hit up a clientside group on this one.

Owner/Lead Designer, DF-Software
http://www.Darkfalz.com

"Kenneth Keeley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I have created a web site that works well on the computers I have

control
> over (all using IE5.0 or above). I have now set about rewritting the pages
> to be more browser compatible, but firstly I would like to know what
> versions of the most common browser support which levels of HTML. Ideally

> would like to use HTML version 4 and then place a warning on my home page
> stating what version of browser software is required.
>
> Can somebody help.

Adrienne

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Curt_C [MVP]"
<software_AT_darkfalz.com> writing in news:ujc$6okgDHA.3532
@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:

> Wrong place to ask really....
> the HTML compatability is a property of the browser, not the server.
> I'd hit up a clientside group on this one.

Additionally, if you use HTML Strict markup, and you validate it, you
should be okay for ANY browser. CSS is another story, again OT.

--
Adrienne Boswell
http://www.arbpen.com

Jeff Cochran

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 13:08:13 +1000, "Kenneth Keeley"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have created a web site that works well on the computers I have control
>over (all using IE5.0 or above). I have now set about rewritting the pages
>to be more browser compatible, but firstly I would like to know what
>versions of the most common browser support which levels of HTML. Ideally I
>would like to use HTML version 4 and then place a warning on my home page
>stating what version of browser software is required.

Ask in the HTML groups, this gets bandied about daily.

Jeff