Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > How to limit logons to a website

How to limit logons to a website

Dennis Bronstein

What is the best way to limit logons to a website? We assign a user ID and
password to each user. These are stored in the database (SQL Server). We
want to do two things:

1. Only allow one person to use a specific user ID at a time. So if I log
on as user ABC and then someone else tries to logon as ABC, they will not be
allowed to logon.

2. Limit the total number of users logged on at a given time. So say there
are 10 users and we want to only allow 3 to use the site at a time. So if 3
people are already logged on and a 4th person tries to log on, they will be
rejected.

Are there any "standard" ways to implement this kind of functionality?

Thanks,
Dennis

Tom B

1.) You could record whether or not the person is logged in, in your
database.
2.) Set an Application variable to the current number of users.

Both of these "solutions" have the same problem, you need some way of
logging a person out, and reducing the Application variable. A "good" user
will click on your logout button which you could use to change the two
values.
You can use Session_onEnd to change the values but it's not very
reliable.... http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2078

"Dennis Bronstein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What is the best way to limit logons to a website? We assign a user ID

and
> password to each user. These are stored in the database (SQL Server). We
> want to do two things:
>
> 1. Only allow one person to use a specific user ID at a time. So if I

log
> on as user ABC and then someone else tries to logon as ABC, they will not

be
> allowed to logon.
>
> 2. Limit the total number of users logged on at a given time. So say

there
> are 10 users and we want to only allow 3 to use the site at a time. So if

3
> people are already logged on and a 4th person tries to log on, they will

be
> rejected.
>
> Are there any "standard" ways to implement this kind of functionality?
>
> Thanks,
> Dennis

Logons on Unsecure system JE Wireless Networking 0 08-23-2005 12:10 AM
Limit user logons Patrick Cisco 2 04-25-2004 08:11 AM
Tracking logons Postman MCSE 5 02-13-2004 10:06 PM
Can't Audit Succesful Logons at DC Ben MCSE 7 08-15-2003 02:17 AM

Advertisments