Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > code for opening excel

code for opening excel

Miguel Orrego

Hi,

Does anybody know some code that opens a spreadsheet in excel rather than
the browser? If possible something that can be used with response.redirect,
however this isn't essential. I have a script that creates an excel report,
and people then open this report from a link. However I've been asked
whether it could be opened in excel.

Cheers.

Ray at

I assume you mean on the client. You can use this code to prompt the
open/save dialog and instruct the user to choose to open the file.
http://www.aspfaq.com/2161

Whether or not Excel opens in IE or Excel is a client setting (browse in
same window for .xls file extension)

Ray at work

"Miguel Orrego" <(E-Mail Removed)-nospam> wrote in message
news:3f66e07f$0$263$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Hi,
>
> Does anybody know some code that opens a spreadsheet in excel rather than
> the browser? If possible something that can be used with

response.redirect,
> however this isn't essential. I have a script that creates an excel

report,
> and people then open this report from a link. However I've been asked
> whether it could be opened in excel.
>
> Cheers.

Tom B

If your users are using IE and trust your site, you can use vbscript to
instantiate excel and open it(client-side)