Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > IIS / ASP problem / XP Professional

IIS / ASP problem / XP Professional

Jeremy

(This has been posted to microsoft.public.inetserver.iis as well - not
sure which is the better group - thanks for reading)

IIS installed on XP Professional - just used the add/remove programs
method and all seemed fine.

Then I attempted to get to http://localhost and the following happened:
1) a cookie got set
2) I was prompted for a username & password (I entered my XP ones)
3) page displayed
error '8002801c'
Error accessing the OLE registry.
/iisHelp/common/500-100.asp, line 17
4) in the address line of the browser, display has changed to
http://localhost/localstart.asp

the doc tree looks like this:

c:\inetpub\wwwroot\

I seem to have two files called localstart.asp -one in the above
directory and one in the subdirectory _vti_cnf - the content of these
files when examined using a text editor is vastly different.

I created a new virtual directory called fred mapped to a physical
directory c:\inetpub\wwwroot\fred in which I placed a file index.htm
(containing just a 'hello' line plus obligatory <html> and </html>.

http://localhost/fred/index.htm then retrives this file just great. I
renamed the file to index.asp and visited
http://localhost/fred/index.asp and again the file displayed quite fine.

With this evidence, can anyone sugest where I might look next?

--

jeremy

--

jeremy

Jeff Cochran

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 22:34:56 +0100, Jeremy
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(This has been posted to microsoft.public.inetserver.iis as well - not
>sure which is the better group - thanks for reading)

That one was better, and I answered it there. Try not to post the
same question in multiple groups, and if you must, at least crosspost
to the groups so the thread can be across both.

Jeff