Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > ADSI

Miguel Orrego

Hi,

I have found some code that authenticates users agains a domain using ADSI.
I then redirect to another page and pass the username they have entered as a
string. However, it would be nice to also get their full name from Active
Directory once authenticated. Can anyone suggest how I may modify this code
to achieve this? I would also like to pass their full name to the next page
as a string. The code I found:

<%

if (not strADsPath= "") then

' bind to the ADSI object. If user has supplied a username, then
' authenticate too
strADsPath = "WinNT://" & strADsPath
Dim oADsObject
Dim tempstr
tempstr = strDomain & "\" & strUserName

Set oADsObject = GetObject(strADsPath)

Dim strADsNamespace
Dim oADsNamespace
strADsNamespace = left(strADsPath, instr(strADsPath, ":"))
set oADsNamespace = GetObject(strADsNamespace)

Set oADsObject = oADsNamespace.OpenDSObject(strADsPath, tempstr,
strPassword, 0)

' we've only managed to bind if err.number = 0
if not (Err.number = 0) then
Response.Write "Login Failed, please try again</strong><br>"

else
'If the password is correct then set the session variable to True
Session("blnIsUserGood") = True

'Close Objects before redirecting
Set adoCon = Nothing
Set strCon = Nothing
Set rsCheckUser = Nothing

'Redirect to the authorised user page and send the users name

response.redirect "success.asp?username="&strUserName
%>

Tom B

http://www.15seconds.com/issue/011127.htm
refers to User.fullname under
"Changing User-Properties"

"Miguel Orrego" <(E-Mail Removed)-nospam> wrote in message
news:3f5f3825$0$253$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Hi,
>
> I have found some code that authenticates users agains a domain using

ADSI.
> I then redirect to another page and pass the username they have entered as

> string. However, it would be nice to also get their full name from Active
> Directory once authenticated. Can anyone suggest how I may modify this

code
> to achieve this? I would also like to pass their full name to the next

page
> as a string. The code I found:
>
> <%
>
> if (not strADsPath= "") then
>
> ' bind to the ADSI object. If user has supplied a username, then
> ' authenticate too
> strADsPath = "WinNT://" & strADsPath
> Dim oADsObject
> Dim tempstr
> tempstr = strDomain & "\" & strUserName
>

> Set oADsObject = GetObject(strADsPath)
>

> Dim strADsNamespace
> Dim oADsNamespace
> strADsNamespace = left(strADsPath, instr(strADsPath, ":"))
> set oADsNamespace = GetObject(strADsNamespace)
>
> Set oADsObject = oADsNamespace.OpenDSObject(strADsPath, tempstr,
> strPassword, 0)
>
> ' we've only managed to bind if err.number = 0
> if not (Err.number = 0) then
> Response.Write "Login Failed, please try again</strong><br>"
>
> else
> 'If the password is correct then set the session variable to True
> Session("blnIsUserGood") = True
>
> 'Close Objects before redirecting
> Set adoCon = Nothing
> Set strCon = Nothing
> Set rsCheckUser = Nothing
>
> 'Redirect to the authorised user page and send the users name
>
> response.redirect "success.asp?username="&strUserName
> %>

Miguel Orrego

Thanks Tom,

After checking that article I added the following code and it works a treat.
Thanks again.

Dim FullName
Dim User
Set User = GetObject("WinNT://" & strDomain & "/" & strUserName & ",user")
FullName = User.Fullname

"Tom B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.15seconds.com/issue/011127.htm
> refers to User.fullname under
> "Changing User-Properties"
>
> "Miguel Orrego" <(E-Mail Removed)-nospam> wrote in message
> news:3f5f3825$0$253$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have found some code that authenticates users agains a domain using

> ADSI.
> > I then redirect to another page and pass the username they have entered

as
> > string. However, it would be nice to also get their full name from

Active
> > Directory once authenticated. Can anyone suggest how I may modify this

> code
> > to achieve this? I would also like to pass their full name to the next

> page
> > as a string. The code I found:
> >
> > <%
> >
> > if (not strADsPath= "") then
> >
> > ' bind to the ADSI object. If user has supplied a username, then
> > ' authenticate too
> > strADsPath = "WinNT://" & strADsPath
> > Dim oADsObject
> > Dim tempstr
> > tempstr = strDomain & "\" & strUserName
> >

> > Set oADsObject = GetObject(strADsPath)
> >

> > Dim strADsNamespace
> > Dim oADsNamespace
> > strADsNamespace = left(strADsPath, instr(strADsPath, ":"))
> > set oADsNamespace = GetObject(strADsNamespace)
> >
> > Set oADsObject = oADsNamespace.OpenDSObject(strADsPath, tempstr,
> > strPassword, 0)
> >
> > ' we've only managed to bind if err.number = 0
> > if not (Err.number = 0) then
> > Response.Write "Login Failed, please try again</strong><br>"
> >
> > else
> > 'If the password is correct then set the session variable to True
> > Session("blnIsUserGood") = True
> >
> > 'Close Objects before redirecting
> > Set adoCon = Nothing
> > Set strCon = Nothing
> > Set rsCheckUser = Nothing
> >
> > 'Redirect to the authorised user page and send the users name
> >
> > response.redirect "success.asp?username="&strUserName
> > %>

J P Singh

Is it possible to retrieve the email address as well

any help

"Miguel Orrego" <(E-Mail Removed)-nospam> wrote in message
news:3f5f41df$0$248$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Thanks Tom,
>
> After checking that article I added the following code and it works a

treat.
> Thanks again.
>
> Dim FullName
> Dim User
> Set User = GetObject("WinNT://" & strDomain & "/" & strUserName &

",user")
> FullName = User.Fullname
>

> "Tom B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> > http://www.15seconds.com/issue/011127.htm
> > refers to User.fullname under
> > "Changing User-Properties"
> >
> > "Miguel Orrego" <(E-Mail Removed)-nospam> wrote in message
> > news:3f5f3825$0$253$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have found some code that authenticates users agains a domain using

> > ADSI.
> > > I then redirect to another page and pass the username they have

entered
> as
> > > string. However, it would be nice to also get their full name from

> Active
> > > Directory once authenticated. Can anyone suggest how I may modify this

> > code
> > > to achieve this? I would also like to pass their full name to the next

> > page
> > > as a string. The code I found:
> > >
> > > <%
> > >
> > > if (not strADsPath= "") then
> > >
> > > ' bind to the ADSI object. If user has supplied a username, then
> > > ' authenticate too
> > > strADsPath = "WinNT://" & strADsPath
> > > Dim oADsObject
> > > Dim tempstr
> > > tempstr = strDomain & "\" & strUserName
> > >

> > > Set oADsObject = GetObject(strADsPath)
> > >

> > > Dim strADsNamespace
> > > Dim oADsNamespace
> > > strADsNamespace = left(strADsPath, instr(strADsPath, ":"))
> > > set oADsNamespace = GetObject(strADsNamespace)
> > >
> > > Set oADsObject = oADsNamespace.OpenDSObject(strADsPath, tempstr,
> > > strPassword, 0)
> > >
> > > ' we've only managed to bind if err.number = 0
> > > if not (Err.number = 0) then
> > > Response.Write "Login Failed, please try again</strong><br>"
> > >
> > > else
> > > 'If the password is correct then set the session variable to True
> > > Session("blnIsUserGood") = True
> > >
> > > 'Close Objects before redirecting
> > > Set adoCon = Nothing
> > > Set strCon = Nothing
> > > Set rsCheckUser = Nothing
> > >
> > > 'Redirect to the authorised user page and send the users name
> > >
> > > response.redirect "success.asp?username="&strUserName
> > > %>

Tom B

http://www.15seconds.com/issue/020130.htm

That's the one I meant.

"Miguel Orrego" <(E-Mail Removed)-nospam> wrote in message
news:3f5f41df$0$248$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Thanks Tom,
>
> After checking that article I added the following code and it works a

treat.
> Thanks again.
>
> Dim FullName
> Dim User
> Set User = GetObject("WinNT://" & strDomain & "/" & strUserName &

",user")
> FullName = User.Fullname
>

> "Tom B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> > http://www.15seconds.com/issue/011127.htm
> > refers to User.fullname under
> > "Changing User-Properties"
> >
> > "Miguel Orrego" <(E-Mail Removed)-nospam> wrote in message
> > news:3f5f3825$0$253$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have found some code that authenticates users agains a domain using

> > ADSI.
> > > I then redirect to another page and pass the username they have

entered
> as
> > > string. However, it would be nice to also get their full name from

> Active
> > > Directory once authenticated. Can anyone suggest how I may modify this

> > code
> > > to achieve this? I would also like to pass their full name to the next

> > page
> > > as a string. The code I found:
> > >
> > > <%
> > >
> > > if (not strADsPath= "") then
> > >
> > > ' bind to the ADSI object. If user has supplied a username, then
> > > ' authenticate too
> > > strADsPath = "WinNT://" & strADsPath
> > > Dim oADsObject
> > > Dim tempstr
> > > tempstr = strDomain & "\" & strUserName
> > >

> > > Set oADsObject = GetObject(strADsPath)
> > >

> > > Dim strADsNamespace
> > > Dim oADsNamespace
> > > strADsNamespace = left(strADsPath, instr(strADsPath, ":"))
> > > set oADsNamespace = GetObject(strADsNamespace)
> > >
> > > Set oADsObject = oADsNamespace.OpenDSObject(strADsPath, tempstr,
> > > strPassword, 0)
> > >
> > > ' we've only managed to bind if err.number = 0
> > > if not (Err.number = 0) then
> > > Response.Write "Login Failed, please try again</strong><br>"
> > >
> > > else
> > > 'If the password is correct then set the session variable to True
> > > Session("blnIsUserGood") = True
> > >
> > > 'Close Objects before redirecting
> > > Set adoCon = Nothing
> > > Set strCon = Nothing
> > > Set rsCheckUser = Nothing
> > >
> > > 'Redirect to the authorised user page and send the users name
> > >
> > > response.redirect "success.asp?username="&strUserName
> > > %>

Tom B

This page
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...i/iadsuser.asp
suggests a property called emailaddress
where do they get these crazy names.
"J P Singh" <noemail@asIhatespam> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is it possible to retrieve the email address as well
>
> any help
>

> "Miguel Orrego" <(E-Mail Removed)-nospam> wrote in message
> news:3f5f41df$0$248$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> > Thanks Tom,
> >
> > After checking that article I added the following code and it works a

> treat.
> > Thanks again.
> >
> > Dim FullName
> > Dim User
> > Set User = GetObject("WinNT://" & strDomain & "/" & strUserName &

> ",user")
> > FullName = User.Fullname
> >

> > "Tom B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > http://www.15seconds.com/issue/011127.htm
> > > refers to User.fullname under
> > > "Changing User-Properties"
> > >
> > > "Miguel Orrego" <(E-Mail Removed)-nospam> wrote in message
> > > news:3f5f3825$0$253$(E-Mail Removed).. .

using
> > > ADSI.

> entered
> > as

> > Active

this
> > > code

next
> > > page

Tom B

And this looks interesting..

"J P Singh" <noemail@asIhatespam> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is it possible to retrieve the email address as well
>
> any help
>

> "Miguel Orrego" <(E-Mail Removed)-nospam> wrote in message
> news:3f5f41df$0$248$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> > Thanks Tom,
> >
> > After checking that article I added the following code and it works a

> treat.
> > Thanks again.
> >
> > Dim FullName
> > Dim User
> > Set User = GetObject("WinNT://" & strDomain & "/" & strUserName &

> ",user")
> > FullName = User.Fullname
> >

> > "Tom B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > http://www.15seconds.com/issue/011127.htm
> > > refers to User.fullname under
> > > "Changing User-Properties"
> > >
> > > "Miguel Orrego" <(E-Mail Removed)-nospam> wrote in message
> > > news:3f5f3825$0$253$(E-Mail Removed).. .

using
> > > ADSI.

> entered
> > as

> > Active

this
> > > code

next
> > > page

ADSI - User A/c Info Question shiv ASP .Net 1 11-16-2003 06:51 AM
Retrieve logon user name from ADSI venkat ASP .Net 0 11-06-2003 06:41 AM
Access Denied for WMI/ADSI over ASP.Net Roy Osherove ASP .Net 3 09-14-2003 09:47 PM
ADSI/LDAP Query khaja shaik ASP .Net 0 07-21-2003 09:05 PM
ADSI - Syntax for msExchTurfListNames Justin Rich ASP .Net 0 06-25-2003 11:19 PM

Advertisments