Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > creating search engine

creating search engine

Jimmy Tran

Hello everyone,

I have one major table that contains some data and contain keys to many
other tables. I am using RIGHT JOIN query method to get all my data and
everything works very well. Now I am using the same query except i have
a bunch of WHERE clauses in it to create a 'search engine', here's a
fake example:
SELECT a.a AS A, b.b AS B, c.c AS C, ..., and so on
FROM a RIGHT JOIN (b RIGHT JOIN C RIGHT JOIN(...so on)
ON a.a=c.c.......and so on
WHERE (a.a LIKE '%searchTerm%') OR (b.b LIKE '%searchTerm%')
OR (b.b LIKE '%searchTerm%')OR (c.c LIKE '%searchTerm%')
....and so on for about 25 WHERE cases total

It works fine and fast when I have about 13 WHERE clauses, but when i
exceed that, my script runs forever. I would like thank you in advance
if anyone could help me out.
Jimmy.
I use asp,vb script, and access97 for my project.
Again, thank you so much.

Ray at

www.aspfaq.com/5003

Ray at work

"Jimmy Tran" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have one major table that contains some data and contain keys to many
> other tables. I am using RIGHT JOIN query method to get all my data and
> everything works very well. Now I am using the same query except i have
> a bunch of WHERE clauses in it to create a 'search engine', here's a
> fake example:
> SELECT a.a AS A, b.b AS B, c.c AS C, ..., and so on
> FROM a RIGHT JOIN (b RIGHT JOIN C RIGHT JOIN(...so on)
> ON a.a=c.c.......and so on
> WHERE (a.a LIKE '%searchTerm%') OR (b.b LIKE '%searchTerm%')
> OR (b.b LIKE '%searchTerm%')OR (c.c LIKE '%searchTerm%')
> ...and so on for about 25 WHERE cases total
>
> It works fine and fast when I have about 13 WHERE clauses, but when i
> exceed that, my script runs forever. I would like thank you in advance
> if anyone could help me out.
> Jimmy.
> I use asp,vb script, and access97 for my project.
> Again, thank you so much.

ljb

Off the top of my head...this might work

WHERE (a.a & b.b & c.c LIKE '%searchTerm%')

I just had an idea to concatenate all the fields and search them once. Don't
know if it will work though.