Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > 1 or many ASP files??

1 or many ASP files??

Laphan

Hi All

Just trying to clear my cluttered mind and wondering if you can help.

IYHO, if I have say 10 different product categories that extract their data
from say 10 text files or an Access DB, is it more efficient to have an ASP
for each product category to query each section or 1 which parses the lot??

The only reason I am asking is for multiple user access I have this strange
belief that if 1 page is getting requested and queried by 10 simultaneous
visitors then 'spreading the load' on different pages would help.

Is my logic correct or do the ISP fairies have this in hand??

Many thanks.

Rgds

Laphan

Manohar Kamath [MVP]

No, don't think of the page as a "person" doing the work. Regardless of how
many pages you have, the load is always proportional to the number of
requests. I would code it as one page because it is easier to develop, and
in case any changes -- track and maintain. If you spread it across ten
pages, you are just increasing the redundancy.

--
Manohar Kamath
Editor, .netBooks

"Laphan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:biqm9u$jrn$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All
>
> Just trying to clear my cluttered mind and wondering if you can help.
>
> IYHO, if I have say 10 different product categories that extract their

data
> from say 10 text files or an Access DB, is it more efficient to have an

ASP
> for each product category to query each section or 1 which parses the

lot??

> The only reason I am asking is for multiple user access I have this

strange
> belief that if 1 page is getting requested and queried by 10 simultaneous
> visitors then 'spreading the load' on different pages would help.
>
> Is my logic correct or do the ISP fairies have this in hand??
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Rgds
>
> Laphan

Laphan

Hi Manohar

Is this a definite?

I need to know because I spent 7 hours making about 100 product pages
originally, then 3 hours making it a single product page site, then 5 hours
updating another set of 100 pages thinking it was this.

I need to make sure so that I can work from this.

Thanks

Laphan

Manohar Kamath [MVP] <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
No, don't think of the page as a "person" doing the work. Regardless of how
many pages you have, the load is always proportional to the number of
requests. I would code it as one page because it is easier to develop, and
in case any changes -- track and maintain. If you spread it across ten
pages, you are just increasing the redundancy.

--
Manohar Kamath
Editor, .netBooks
www.dotnetbooks.com

"Laphan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:biqm9u$jrn$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi All
>
> Just trying to clear my cluttered mind and wondering if you can help.
>
> IYHO, if I have say 10 different product categories that extract their

data
> from say 10 text files or an Access DB, is it more efficient to have an

ASP
> for each product category to query each section or 1 which parses the

lot??

> The only reason I am asking is for multiple user access I have this

strange
> belief that if 1 page is getting requested and queried by 10 simultaneous
> visitors then 'spreading the load' on different pages would help.
>
> Is my logic correct or do the ISP fairies have this in hand??
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Rgds
>
> Laphan

Manohar Kamath [MVP]