Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > Problems with BinaryWrite, IE and Adobe Reader 6.0

Problems with BinaryWrite, IE and Adobe Reader 6.0

Jens S0nderby Munk

Hi,

I'm having some problems with the Reponse.BinaryWrite, IE 6.0 and Adobe Reader 6.0. When I try to write a pdf-file to an IE browser with a Adobe Reader 6.0 installed then it just displays a blank page and the earth on the top rigth corner keeps turning like it haven't read the pdf-file (for 10+ minutes on a lan).

If I change the settings on the Adobe Reader 6.0 to not open in a browser, then it works fine.
If I use Mozilla 1.4 then it opens fine as well.
It works fine as well with Adobe Reader 5.1.

The code looks like this:
[Some code that places the pdf-file in a byte array called vntStream]
Response.Clear
Response.ContentType = "Application/pdf"
Response.BinaryWrite = vntStream
Response.end

I have tried to place a Response.Flush after the BinaryWrite, but it just makes the Adobe plug-in say something like "document corupted".

Can anyone help, please.

/Jens

Alan

Hi there,

Is this a typo:
> Response.BinaryWrite = vntStream

BinaryWrite is a function, not a property. Have you tried persisting the PDF
to disk and Response.Redirecting?

Cheers,

Alan

"Jens S0nderby Munk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bgtgnn$c5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I'm having some problems with the Reponse.BinaryWrite, IE 6.0 and Adobe

Reader 6.0. When I try to write a pdf-file to an IE browser with a Adobe
Reader 6.0 installed then it just displays a blank page and the earth on the
top rigth corner keeps turning like it haven't read the pdf-file (for 10+
minutes on a lan).

> If I change the settings on the Adobe Reader 6.0 to not open in a browser,

then it works fine.
> If I use Mozilla 1.4 then it opens fine as well.
> It works fine as well with Adobe Reader 5.1.
>
> The code looks like this:
> [Some code that places the pdf-file in a byte array called vntStream]
> Response.Clear
> Response.ContentType = "Application/pdf"
> Response.BinaryWrite = vntStream
> Response.end
>
> I have tried to place a Response.Flush after the BinaryWrite, but it just

makes the Adobe plug-in say something like "document corupted".

> Can anyone help, please.
>
> /Jens

Jens S0nderby Munk

"Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>Hi there,
>
>Is this a typo:
>> Response.BinaryWrite = vntStream

That is of course a typo

>BinaryWrite is a function, not a property. Have you tried persisting the PDF
>to disk and Response.Redirecting?

Yes, I have tried that, and it works, but this is not a option as the PDF-fiels are not public accessable and the access control is done by the application. The conplexity of the access control does not allow me to place the files in a tree structure with access control.

/Jens