Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > how to determine if link is directory or file?

how to determine if link is directory or file?

bart plessers

Hello,

Currently I am developping a internet "directory browser"

My page 'default.asp' has following entries:

CurrentPATH = Request("MyLink")
Set oFolder = oFSO.GetFolder(CurrentPATH)
Set oFolderContents = oFolder.Files

this works fine with 'default.asp?MyPath', where "MyPath" stands for i.e.
c:\temp\
but NOT with 'default.asp?MyFile', where MyFile stands for i.e.
c:\temp\file.txt

Is there a way to determine if the link contains a file or a path? Of course
you can check for a dot (after dot, normaly it is an extension, thus a
file), but I want to have it possible also to have dots in my directories...

Anybody?

tia!

bartp

Hyper A.R.T.
bart plessers
Paul Van Ostaijenlaan 4
3001 Heverlee
BELGIUM
tel: +32 (16) 23.40.85
fax: +32 (16) 23.41.06

Ray at

How about:

CurrentPATH = Request.QUERYSTRING("MyLink")
Set oFSO = Server.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Select Case True
Case oFSO.FileExists(CurrentPATH)
'''you have a file
Case oFSO.FolderExists(CurrentPATH)
'''you have a directory
Case Else
'''you have nothing
End Select
'''etc.

Ray at home

--
Will trade ASP help for SQL Server help

"bart plessers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> Currently I am developping a internet "directory browser"
>
> My page 'default.asp' has following entries:
>
> CurrentPATH = Request("MyLink")
> Set oFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
> Set oFolder = oFSO.GetFolder(CurrentPATH)
> Set oFolderContents = oFolder.Files
>

> this works fine with 'default.asp?MyPath', where "MyPath" stands for i.e.
> c:\temp\
> but NOT with 'default.asp?MyFile', where MyFile stands for i.e.
> c:\temp\file.txt
>
> Is there a way to determine if the link contains a file or a path? Of

course
> you can check for a dot (after dot, normaly it is an extension, thus a
> file), but I want to have it possible also to have dots in my

directories...

> Anybody?
>

> tia!
>
> bartp

bart plessers

Hi ray!
thanx for quick reply

I wasn't aware of your suggested script. Nice!

However,
I want to have a browser based on URL, not on directorypaths,

so

CurrentURL = Request.QueryString("Path")
CurrentPATH = server.mappath(CurrentURL) & "\"
Select Case True
Case oFSO.FileExists(CurrentPATH)
'''you have a file
Case oFSO.FolderExists(CurrentPATH)
'''you have a directory
Set oFolder = oFSO.GetFolder(CurrentPATH)
Set oFolderContents = oFolder.Files
Case Else
'''you have nothing
End Select

gives an error on line 2 because i.e.

path = /multimedia/2003/party/
then CurrentPATH = D:\Inetpub\multimedia\2003\party\

but

path = /multimedia/2003/party/image01.gif
then ERROR on CurrenPATH because the function server.mappath doesn't seems
to work on files

To avoid this problem, I should place the CurrentPATH assignment in the Case
where my "Path" string contains a folder.
But I need the CurrentPath in the Case-statement...

Do you have a suggestion where I can check on URL's (not on paths) if they
are a file or a directory?

Hyper A.R.T.
bart plessers
Paul Van Ostaijenlaan 4
3001 Heverlee
BELGIUM
tel: +32 (16) 23.40.85
fax: +32 (16) 23.41.06

news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> How about:
>
> CurrentPATH = Request.QUERYSTRING("MyLink")
> Set oFSO = Server.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
> Select Case True
> Case oFSO.FileExists(CurrentPATH)
> '''you have a file
> Case oFSO.FolderExists(CurrentPATH)
> '''you have a directory
> Case Else
> '''you have nothing
> End Select
> '''etc.
>
> Ray at home
>
> --
> Will trade ASP help for SQL Server help
>

> "bart plessers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello,
> >
> > Currently I am developping a internet "directory browser"
> >
> > My page 'default.asp' has following entries:
> >
> > CurrentPATH = Request("MyLink")
> > Set oFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
> > Set oFolder = oFSO.GetFolder(CurrentPATH)
> > Set oFolderContents = oFolder.Files
> >

> > this works fine with 'default.asp?MyPath', where "MyPath" stands for

i.e.
> > c:\temp\
> > but NOT with 'default.asp?MyFile', where MyFile stands for i.e.
> > c:\temp\file.txt
> >
> > Is there a way to determine if the link contains a file or a path? Of

> course
> > you can check for a dot (after dot, normaly it is an extension, thus a
> > file), but I want to have it possible also to have dots in my

> directories...
> >
> > Anybody?
> >

> > tia!
> >
> > bartp

Ray at

Perhaps the problem is that you're adding a \ onto the end of your path, so
you're going to wind up with something like:

D:\Inetpub\multimedia\2003\party\image01.gif\

Ray at home
--
> [...]

> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Currently I am developping a internet "directory browser"
> > >
> > > My page 'default.asp' has following entries:
> > >
> > > CurrentPATH = Request("MyLink")
> > > Set oFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
> > > Set oFolder = oFSO.GetFolder(CurrentPATH)
> > > Set oFolderContents = oFolder.Files
> > >

> > > this works fine with 'default.asp?MyPath', where "MyPath" stands for

> i.e.
> > > c:\temp\
> > > but NOT with 'default.asp?MyFile', where MyFile stands for i.e.
> > > c:\temp\file.txt
> > >
> > > Is there a way to determine if the link contains a file or a path? Of

> > course
> > > you can check for a dot (after dot, normaly it is an extension, thus a
> > > file), but I want to have it possible also to have dots in my

bart plessers

hi ray,

unfortunatly that isn't the problem.
I also noticed this issue, and removed the backslash. Nothing changed.

In fact I need a tool wether or not a relative URL (something like
"\multimedia\party\" or "\multimedia\party\image.gif") is pointing to a
directory of file.

You don't know any syntax in asp that can do that job?

tia

bartp

Hyper A.R.T.
bart plessers
Paul Van Ostaijenlaan 4
3001 Heverlee
BELGIUM
tel: +32 (16) 23.40.85
fax: +32 (16) 23.41.06

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> > BELGIUM
> > tel: +32 (16) 23.40.85
> > fax: +32 (16) 23.41.06
> >

> > "Ray at <%=sLocation%>" <myfirstname at lane34 dot com> wrote in message
> > news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > How about:
> > >
> > > CurrentPATH = Request.QUERYSTRING("MyLink")
> > > Set oFSO = Server.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
> > > Select Case True
> > > Case oFSO.FileExists(CurrentPATH)
> > > '''you have a file
> > > Case oFSO.FolderExists(CurrentPATH)
> > > '''you have a directory
> > > Case Else
> > > '''you have nothing
> > > End Select
> > > '''etc.
> > >
> > > Ray at home
> > >
> > > --
> > > Will trade ASP help for SQL Server help
> > >

> > > "bart plessers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

bart plessers

oops. sorry. to quick, you were right!

many thanx for your time and sorry for my arrogance

bartp

Hyper A.R.T.
bart plessers
Paul Van Ostaijenlaan 4