Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Strange Behaviour

Strange Behaviour

Grace Sainsbury

Hi,

I have developed a multi-frame web application with asp.net in c#. One frame
contains an embedded windows media 9 player for playing .wmv files. While
there is a file loaded in the player the other frames do not reliably
refresh.

Specifivally, if I try to refresh a page where I have overridden the Render
method, IE will stall. My attempts to debug this seem to indicate that this
stalling occurs before any code is excecuted. Refreshing the player frame
allows the stalled frame to load properly. When no file is open in the
player frame, everything works fine. This does not occur for asp.net pages
that do not override the render method, or simple html pages.

The page that causes this problem performs a SQL select in its render
method. It seems that this does not occur if there is no select in Render.

I have no idea what could be causing this. Any ideas would be greatly
appreciated.

thanks,

Grace Sainsbury

Vidar Petursson

Hi

Perhaps because the file in the player is still loading?
I did a test and no problems: http://213.190.104.211/

P.S Low bandwidth so it can take time to load....

--
Best Regards
Vidar Petursson
"Grace Sainsbury" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jjtrc.173$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I have developed a multi-frame web application with asp.net in c#. One
> frame
> contains an embedded windows media 9 player for playing .wmv files. While
> there is a file loaded in the player the other frames do not reliably
> refresh.
>
> Specifivally, if I try to refresh a page where I have overridden the
> Render
> method, IE will stall. My attempts to debug this seem to indicate that
> this
> stalling occurs before any code is excecuted. Refreshing the player frame
> allows the stalled frame to load properly. When no file is open in the
> player frame, everything works fine. This does not occur for asp.net pages
> that do not override the render method, or simple html pages.
>
> The page that causes this problem performs a SQL select in its render
> method. It seems that this does not occur if there is no select in Render.
>
> I have no idea what could be causing this. Any ideas would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> thanks,
>
> Grace Sainsbury

Grace Sainsbury

"Vidar Petursson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<uAh2$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Hi
>
> Perhaps because the file in the player is still loading?
> I did a test and no problems: http://213.190.104.211/
>
> P.S Low bandwidth so it can take time to load....

The problem occurs even when the entire file has been loaded -- i.e.
media pler is playing from its cache. With further experimentation, I
noticed that changing the focus away from IE, then returning causes
the refresh to complete.

thaks,

grace

Calvin Luttrel/ProjectThunder.com

Grace,

In my opinion I would try to duplicate the issue on another machine. This would eliminate your video and or system as a contributing factor. Is this for Internet Explorer and if so which version are you using? I'm pretty certain that the code running on the server is irrelevant unless the frame is hung up while processing that frame.

Good Luck!

-Calvin Luttrell
ProjectThunder.com