Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP General > ASP on CD

ASP on CD

Dave

Just a thought about making ASP mobile on a 3" CD (business card CD).
I'm thinking the ability to use ASP via CD would be similar to having
"autorun" on a disc (System reading a static file). Using a file on the root
of the disc to initiate an action or search for necessary software/website.
Another example (Web page host recognizing CD). The band "Toad the Wet
Sprocket" developed their Coil CD to interact with their website. On the
disk is a hidden track, it can only be heard if the someone visits the
"Toad" website while the CD is in a computer.
Perhaps something similar to the second example could be created with
ASP. Once the CD and website make a connection, a file could then be
generated on the users computer and updated to match the website. Programs
on the CD could be setup to interact with the locally stored file or
website.
It sounds feasible to me, but I'd like to hear the thoughts of others.

Dave

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

http://www.aspfaq.com/2443

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just a thought about making ASP mobile on a 3" CD (business card CD).
> I'm thinking the ability to use ASP via CD would be similar to having
> "autorun" on a disc (System reading a static file). Using a file on the

root
> of the disc to initiate an action or search for necessary

software/website.
> Another example (Web page host recognizing CD). The band "Toad the Wet
> Sprocket" developed their Coil CD to interact with their website. On the
> disk is a hidden track, it can only be heard if the someone visits the
> "Toad" website while the CD is in a computer.
> Perhaps something similar to the second example could be created with
> ASP. Once the CD and website make a connection, a file could then be
> generated on the users computer and updated to match the website. Programs
> on the CD could be setup to interact with the locally stored file or
> website.
> It sounds feasible to me, but I'd like to hear the thoughts of others.
>
> Dave

Evertjan.

Dave wrote on 08 jul 2003 in microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general:
> Just a thought about making ASP mobile on a 3" CD (business card
> CD). [..........]
> It sounds feasible to me, but I'd like to hear the thoughts of
> others.

The danger is, that the site should be perfect, as you cannot correct a
finished cd.

Web programming is a constant updating of facts and debugging an improving
on your previous work.

Often the data themselves are from changeable sources. "Even" M$ is
constantly updating on its cd-borne ware, continous updating after the
primary installing.

That's why a derilict site has an immediate nasty "feel".

But technically, I think it can be done.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.