Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless ADSL Modems

Wireless ADSL Modems

John

Do these off the shelf modems actually work? I have recently bought U S
Robotics ADSL modem model 9108 and tried to set it up using the various
values given to me by my ISP but I still can't get on to Internet. I
can access files and printers on other machines but I can't get on to
Internet.

When I use the modem supplied by my ISP there is no problem. My ISP is
Bulldog a subsidiary of Cable & Wireless and they have not bothered to
reply to my emails yet.

I hope somebody in UK using Bulldog and wireless ADSL can reply to let
me know whether it is time to vote with my feet and take my business
somewhere else!

Kevin

I'm not in the UK, I'm in the US but I do know that some providers have a
proprietary modem that is set up for their service only. My previous
service with Qwest/MSN Broadband required the use of their modem only. This
may be the case for you. Ask the folks at Bulldog if this is so.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Do these off the shelf modems actually work? I have recently bought U S
> Robotics ADSL modem model 9108 and tried to set it up using the various
> values given to me by my ISP but I still can't get on to Internet. I
> can access files and printers on other machines but I can't get on to
> Internet.
>
> When I use the modem supplied by my ISP there is no problem. My ISP is
> Bulldog a subsidiary of Cable & Wireless and they have not bothered to
> reply to my emails yet.
>
> I hope somebody in UK using Bulldog and wireless ADSL can reply to let
> me know whether it is time to vote with my feet and take my business
> somewhere else!

Joan Archer

I'm not with Bulldog but have spoken to someone who is and their reply is
that it is not a problem with Bulldog as you can connect using their
modem. Instead you should look to US Robotics or the store who sold you
the modem.
Another thing you could check is if you have a firewall that is blocking
the connection.
See if anything here helps
Joan

John wrote:
> Do these off the shelf modems actually work? I have recently bought
> U S Robotics ADSL modem model 9108 and tried to set it up using the
> various values given to me by my ISP but I still can't get on to
> Internet. I can access files and printers on other machines but I
> can't get on to Internet.
>
> When I use the modem supplied by my ISP there is no problem. My ISP
> is Bulldog a subsidiary of Cable & Wireless and they have not
> bothered to reply to my emails yet.
>
> I hope somebody in UK using Bulldog and wireless ADSL can reply to let
> me know whether it is time to vote with my feet and take my business
> somewhere else!

Joan Archer

Just have a bit more info to add to my last post my friend just sent me
this hope it helps.
Joan

I meant to include this URL with my earlier post.
http://www.usr-emea.com/support/s-pr...mest&prod=9108

The poster needs to check out either or both of "I can't access the
Internet" and "My wireless connection can not access the Internet" in the
Troubleshooting section in the middle of the page.

John wrote:
> Do these off the shelf modems actually work? I have recently bought
> U S Robotics ADSL modem model 9108 and tried to set it up using the
> various values given to me by my ISP but I still can't get on to
> Internet. I can access files and printers on other machines but I
> can't get on to Internet.
>
> When I use the modem supplied by my ISP there is no problem. My ISP
> is Bulldog a subsidiary of Cable & Wireless and they have not
> bothered to reply to my emails yet.
>
> I hope somebody in UK using Bulldog and wireless ADSL can reply to let
> me know whether it is time to vote with my feet and take my business
> somewhere else!

sprotty@hotmail.com

We signed up, got a working phone & broadband for 1 week. After that
the
phone was dead along with the broadband.

After being left on hold far longer than anyone would appreciate, we
were promised that it would be fixed by a given date, the dates came
and went, and still no fix, this happened 4 times. After that we
switched back to the BT phone line.

We are still waiting for a refund from bulldog, and have now been
without a phone and broadband for 6 weeks -

Great, job thanks bulldog.

Quite posibly the worst ISP I've ever had the misfortune to deal with

ato_zee@hotmail.com

On 16-Nov-2005, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> We are still waiting for a refund from bulldog, and have now been
> without a phone and broadband for 6 weeks -
>
> Great, job thanks bulldog.
>
> Quite posibly the worst ISP I've ever had the misfortune to deal with

Complain to Ofcom, they are dealing with Bulldog issues, and
quite are communicative to the public. Like you get a sensible
reply, but that may be all you get, not sure what teeth they
have behind the scenes.