Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > WiFi Internet Connection Sharing

WiFi Internet Connection Sharing

=?Utf-8?B?Qy4gU2hhcnA=?=

I travel a lot with 2 laptops with built in wirelss adapters but I always
have to purchase 2 connections at hotels when I know htere has to be a way to
share one internet connection. I also travel with a wireless travel router
but it requires an internet connection to be physically attached via a CAT5
cable. Does anyone know how to share a wireless(Wi-Fi) connection and what
hardware would be needed to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance!

__spc__

"C. Sharp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I travel a lot with 2 laptops with built in wirelss adapters but I always
> have to purchase 2 connections at hotels when I know htere has to be a way
> share one internet connection. I also travel with a wireless travel
> router
> but it requires an internet connection to be physically attached via a
> CAT5
> cable. Does anyone know how to share a wireless(Wi-Fi) connection and
> what
> hardware would be needed to accomplish this?
>
> Thanks in advance!

The Laptop that connects to the internet needs two NICs. You then enable
ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on the internet connection NIC and the
second NIC relays that connection to whatever it's connected to.

So, two examples:

internet via CAT5 to the first laptop, then ad hoc WiFi network connection
between the two laptops.

or

internet via WiFi to the first laptop, then CAT5 network connection between
the two laptops.

You could also do:

internet via WiFi to the first laptop, then CAT5 network connection to the
WAN port of the router. The second laptop then connects to the WLAN of the
router...

=?Utf-8?B?Qy4gU2hhcnA=?=

I don't want to use ICS and from what you are saying this is the best
scenario: internet via WiFi to the first laptop, then CAT5 network
connection to the
WAN port of the router. The second laptop then connects to the WLAN of the
router... Is there any settings I need to change to create this bridge on
the first laptop?

"__spc__" wrote:

> "C. Sharp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I travel a lot with 2 laptops with built in wirelss adapters but I always
> > have to purchase 2 connections at hotels when I know htere has to be a way
> > share one internet connection. I also travel with a wireless travel
> > router
> > but it requires an internet connection to be physically attached via a
> > CAT5
> > cable. Does anyone know how to share a wireless(Wi-Fi) connection and
> > what
> > hardware would be needed to accomplish this?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!

> The Laptop that connects to the internet needs two NICs. You then enable
> ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on the internet connection NIC and the
> second NIC relays that connection to whatever it's connected to.
>
> So, two examples:
>
> internet via CAT5 to the first laptop, then ad hoc WiFi network connection
> between the two laptops.
>
> or
>
> internet via WiFi to the first laptop, then CAT5 network connection between
> the two laptops.
>
> You could also do:
>
> internet via WiFi to the first laptop, then CAT5 network connection to the
> WAN port of the router. The second laptop then connects to the WLAN of the
> router...

__spc__

"C. Sharp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I don't want to use ICS and from what you are saying this is the best
> scenario: internet via WiFi to the first laptop, then CAT5 network
> connection to the
> WAN port of the router. The second laptop then connects to the WLAN of
> the
> router... Is there any settings I need to change to create this bridge on
> the first laptop?

[snip]

Any reason why not CAT5 cable to the LAN port on the second laptop (skip the
router)?