Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > Socket programming in Web services

Socket programming in Web services

rbfigueira

Hi,

Currently I have 2 applications that are connected to each other using
sockets (c# windows forms [client] and c# Windows Service [Server]) with none
protection. :// The connection is made using socket (TCP/IP Port) and we send
and receive one serialize class with data. Now, there is a need to migrate to
Web services and put all architecture secure as possible.

Current (XP server machines):

CLIENT - [Application 1 - c# windows forms]
| Connection using Sockets |
SERVER -[Application 1 - c# Windows Service] –Waiting for the connection]
(several machines with OS – XP, W2000 and NT) The “Server” is one special
machine (with specific firmware) with some OS that we can’t change. The c#
Windows Service communicate with one DLL written in C++ that make the bridge
between the service and the information (send/receive) from the idle firmware.

We must try to achieve -
CLIENT - [Application 1 - c# windows forms [client] ]
[ WebService (with all business and sockets complexity)]
| Connection using Sockets |
SERVER -[Application 1 - c# Windows Service [Server] –Waiting for the
connection (several machines with OS – XP, W2000 and NT) The “Server” is one
special machine (with specific firmware) with some OS that we can’t change.
The c# Windows Service communicate with one DLL written in C++ that make the
bridge between the service and the information (send/receive) from the idle
firmware.

I am not sure of the complexity involved (using sockets in webServices). I
would like to know what approach I should take, for secure all the process.
The data is very important and confidential.

Can you give some links of book that can help doing this job ?

For example I know about sockets being used to send and receive messages.
Basically a function (for an application) in which I open sockets and send
and receive data. So while creating web services, what is necessary to change
to replace the socket functions etc.

I need some advice to proceed.

Note: If you note to complicate all this, I must to find one way to
communicate with the servers (several machines with OS – XP, W2000 and NT). I
am using c# Windows Service in the servers with XP… but I can´t reuse that
service to the NT!!. Properly I need to code C++ in that machine. Ideas?

Thanks