Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Computer shows my Wireless Router as unsecured even though I set up a key.

Computer shows my Wireless Router as unsecured even though I set up a key.

topherdaniel@gmail.com

Hi,
After I configure my Linksys Wireless Router (with WEP or WPA key), and
save the configuration. My laptop detects it as Unsecured Wirless
Network and when I login it does not ask for any key. Looks like the
router is getting configured partially. It beams the right SSID
(network name) but shows it as unsecured. I haven't configured my
laptop yet.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Malke

> Hi,
> After I configure my Linksys Wireless Router (with WEP or WPA key),
> and save the configuration. My laptop detects it as Unsecured Wirless
> Network and when I login it does not ask for any key. Looks like the
> router is getting configured partially. It beams the right SSID
> (network name) but shows it as unsecured. I haven't configured my
> laptop yet.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks

Is the SSID the default one (i.e., Linksys)? If so, you may be
connecting to a neighbor's unsecured network instead of your own. If
this is the case, change your SSID to something more unique and then
see what you get.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

topherdaniel@gmail.com

Thanks. But I'm using a very unique SSID.
Is there anything else you suggest?

Sooner Al [MVP]

Some others have reported that also...

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,14748976

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Thanks. But I'm using a very unique SSID.
> Is there anything else you suggest?

=?Utf-8?B?S2VuaG9sbA==?=

Have you called the Linksys helpdesk? The support is free, and VERY helpful.