Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > Web Service Wrapper/Proxy/Redirect

Web Service Wrapper/Proxy/Redirect

David05

Hello
I have a 3rd party app that is a general client-service app, the client
makes a SOAP post to a web service that is internal hosted and the web
service then gives back some info.

I need to wrap this web service in another web service, such as the client
makes a call to http://internalserver/webservicename

I want to add some verification of the user by just IP to this system but I
can’t mess with the existing app so I would like to do this

The URL it calls I can change so I want to change it to
http://internalserver/verify then redirect to
http://internalserver/webservicename

But If I do it in ASP the app dies so I need to do it in a web services so
the SOAP XML post gets resent to the new URL after i verify the user by IP.

Can anyone lend some directions or point me in the right direction.
I looked but cant really find any sample code that does this.

The end gaol is to not do anything with the 3rd party web service but to
just wrap it /proxy/ redirect then let it runn as needed.

John Saunders

"David05" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello
> I have a 3rd party app that is a general client-service app, the client
> makes a SOAP post to a web service that is internal hosted and the web
> service then gives back some info.
>
> I need to wrap this web service in another web service, such as the client
> makes a call to http://internalserver/webservicename
>
> I want to add some verification of the user by just IP to this system but
> can’t mess with the existing app so I would like to do this
>
> The URL it calls I can change so I want to change it to
> http://internalserver/verify then redirect to
> http://internalserver/webservicename
>
> But If I do it in ASP the app dies so I need to do it in a web services so
> the SOAP XML post gets resent to the new URL after i verify the user by
> IP.
>
> Can anyone lend some directions or point me in the right direction.
> I looked but cant really find any sample code that does this.
>
> The end gaol is to not do anything with the 3rd party web service but to
> just wrap it /proxy/ redirect then let it runn as needed.

Why not just make your proxy service support the same interface as the real
one, then you can add a web reference to the real one in the proxy service.
All it would do is receive the parameters, validate the user, then make the
corresponding call to the real service.

OTOH, I hope you're aware that IP addresses are not reliable as
identification in general. But perhaps this service only runs inside the
Corporate Intranet and your IT people never change IP addresses or implement
network hardware that does?

David05

"John Saunders" wrote:

> "David05" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello
> > I have a 3rd party app that is a general client-service app, the client
> > makes a SOAP post to a web service that is internal hosted and the web
> > service then gives back some info.
> >
> > I need to wrap this web service in another web service, such as the client
> > makes a call to http://internalserver/webservicename
> >
> > I want to add some verification of the user by just IP to this system but
> > can’t mess with the existing app so I would like to do this
> >
> > The URL it calls I can change so I want to change it to
> > http://internalserver/verify then redirect to
> > http://internalserver/webservicename
> >
> > But If I do it in ASP the app dies so I need to do it in a web services so
> > the SOAP XML post gets resent to the new URL after i verify the user by
> > IP.
> >
> > Can anyone lend some directions or point me in the right direction.
> > I looked but cant really find any sample code that does this.
> >
> > The end gaol is to not do anything with the 3rd party web service but to
> > just wrap it /proxy/ redirect then let it runn as needed.
> >

> Why not just make your proxy service support the same interface as the real
> one, then you can add a web reference to the real one in the proxy service.
> All it would do is receive the parameters, validate the user, then make the
> corresponding call to the real service.
>
> OTOH, I hope you're aware that IP addresses are not reliable as
> identification in general. But perhaps this service only runs inside the
> Corporate Intranet and your IT people never change IP addresses or implement
> network hardware that does?
>
> --
> John Saunders | MVP - Connected System Developer

Hello John,
The 3rd party app/web service I dont have alot of docs on it so with the
"web reference' how can I check that I am passing all the values as the
"normal" interface.
Is there a utility that I can run to grab all the interface properties, ect.