Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > "Add Web Reference" "There was an error downloading"

"Add Web Reference" "There was an error downloading"

rwoo_98@yahoo.com

I am using Visual Studio 2003. In the past I would use a copy of the
wsdl stored in my harddrive (C:\dir\dir\x.wsdl), instead of using a
url in the Add Web Reference wizard. However, now I get an error
message, "There was an error downloading".

I could move this file a web site and do it that way, but does anyone
have any ideas on why MS removed this capabililty. I am working with
a company that is only providing their WSDL to their customers.

Thanks,

John Saunders

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am using Visual Studio 2003. In the past I would use a copy of the
> wsdl stored in my harddrive (C:\dir\dir\x.wsdl), instead of using a
> url in the Add Web Reference wizard. However, now I get an error
> message, "There was an error downloading".
>
> I could move this file a web site and do it that way, but does anyone
> have any ideas on why MS removed this capabililty. I am working with
> a company that is only providing their WSDL to their customers.

The capability was not removed.

Please detail the steps you're taking, the version you're using, etc.

rwoo_98@yahoo.com

On Aug 2, 2:22*pm, "John Saunders" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > I am using Visual Studio 2003. *In the past I would use a copy of the
> > wsdl stored in my harddrive (C:\dir\dir\x.wsdl), instead of using a
> > url in the Add Web Reference wizard. *However, now I get an error
> > message, "There was an error downloading".

> > I could move this file a web site and do it that way, but does anyone
> > have any ideas on why MS removed this capabililty. *I am working with
> > a company that is only providing their WSDL to their customers.

> The capability was not removed.
>
> Please detail the steps you're taking, the version you're using, etc.
>
> --
> John Saunders | MVP - Connected System Developer

I have both Visual Studio 2005 SP1 and Visual Studio 2003 SP1 running
on my workstation.
1. The WSDL would be sent to me as an attachment in an email.
2. I would copy the WSDL onto my harddrive.
3. I would open VS 2003 and open the Web Reference Wizard
4. Instead of entering the url, I would enter the location of the
WSDL on my hard drive.
5. When I do this I get "There was an error downloading" and the
"Access to the path" error.

This use to work in the past, but I believe that an auto update patch
tightened up the security and prevents this from working.
I would have thought that the Web Reference wizard would be running
under my user credentials instead of ASPNET or some other user.

Anyone know why this no longer works.
Thank,

John Saunders

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Aug 2, 2:22 pm, "John Saunders" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> I have both Visual Studio 2005 SP1 and Visual Studio 2003 SP1 running
> on my workstation.
> 1. The WSDL would be sent to me as an attachment in an email.
> 2. I would copy the WSDL onto my harddrive.
> 3. I would open VS 2003 and open the Web Reference Wizard
> 4. Instead of entering the url, I would enter the location of the
> WSDL on my hard drive.
> 5. When I do this I get "There was an error downloading" and the
> "Access to the path" error.
>
> This use to work in the past, but I believe that an auto update patch
> tightened up the security and prevents this from working.
> I would have thought that the Web Reference wizard would be running
> under my user credentials instead of ASPNET or some other user.

If the message you're receiving is "Access to the path ... is denied", then
that message is from the operating system, not from Visual Studio. Visual
Studio hasn't just made a decision on which files you're permitted to
access!

I recommend you download Process Monitor from
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896645.aspx and watch
devenv.exe while you're trying to add the web reference. This will show you
which file is failing and exactly why. You can also try the same thing from
VS2003 and see how it accesses the file differently. This may tell you what
needs to change.