Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > Generate interface from wsdl

Generate interface from wsdl

Peter Bradley

My apologies first of all for cross posting. In my ignorance I posted
this in the .net remoting group before checking on the existence of this
group.

I have to write an application that will interact with a Web service
exposed by a partner organisation. Unfortunately the Web service will
not be available until late summer: too late for us to develop a client.

Ideally, therefore, I'd like to develop a client from the wsdl, which is
available. For your information, I've posted to wsdl files on my
personal Web site:

http://www.peredur.uklinux.net/slcxs...ebService.wsdl
http://www.peredur.uklinux.net/slcxs...eMessages.wsdl

As you will see, the first file imports the second.

In order to get something to work with, I have tried to construct an
interface for the Web service using the wsdl.exe utility:

C:\XmlProjects\SlcDatabaase>wsdl.exe /serverinterface
heicoursedbwebservice.wsdl

This fails with the following message:

Microsoft (R) Web Services Description Language Utility
[Microsoft (R) .NET Framework, Version 2.0.50727.42]
Error: Cannot find definition for
http://www.slc.co.uk/course/messages...ervicePortType.
Service Description with namespace
http://www.slc.co.uk/course/messages/1.0 is missing.
Parameter name: name

Can anyone see where I'm going wrong?

Many thanks

Peter Bradley

John Saunders [MVP]

"Peter Bradley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#z$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have to write an application that will interact with a Web service
> exposed by a partner organisation. Unfortunately the Web service will not
> be available until late summer: too late for us to develop a client.

> http://www.peredur.uklinux.net/slcxs...ebService.wsdl
> http://www.peredur.uklinux.net/slcxs...eMessages.wsdl
>
> As you will see, the first file imports the second.

/HEICourseDatabaseSchema.xsd appears to be missing.

John Saunders | MVP - Windows Server System - Connected System Developer

Peter Bradley

John Saunders [MVP] wrote:

> /HEICourseDatabaseSchema.xsd appears to be missing.

Apologies. The schema files are all there now.

They were all present in the same folder when I tried to run wsdl.exe
against them on my local machine, so their lack is not the reason for
the failure I was getting.

Apologies for the incomplete info, and thanks for looking at it.

Cheers

Peter

Peter Bradley

John Saunders [MVP] wrote:

> /HEICourseDatabaseSchema.xsd appears to be missing.

I realised from this response that if I put all the files up on my Web
server (.wsdl and .xsd) I could create a Web reference to it in VS and
let VS do all the work for me.

This worked fine. The reference.cs file created with the Web reference
is all I need.

Thanks for the help.

Peter

John Saunders [MVP]

"Peter Bradley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> John Saunders [MVP] wrote:
>>
>> /HEICourseDatabaseSchema.xsd appears to be missing.
>>

> Apologies. The schema files are all there now.
>
> They were all present in the same folder when I tried to run wsdl.exe
> against them on my local machine, so their lack is not the reason for the
> failure I was getting.
>
> Apologies for the incomplete info, and thanks for looking at it.
>
> Cheers
>

> Peter

I just got this to work using WSDL /serverInterface and by specifying the
URL on the command line. Try it with the URL instead of with a file path.
John Saunders | MVP - Windows Server System - Connected System Developer