Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > Deployment Question

Deployment Question

Scott M.

Say I have an .asmx that has been in develoment in my local IIS virtual
directory and I've been accessing it with a development version of a client
(also in local IIS virtual directory). Everything works fine.

Now, I deploy my webservice (.asmx) to a production server (also running
IIS, but obviously in a different virtual directory).

Sure, I could just re-make my client's web reference to point to the new
location for the web service, but there must be some way to deal with this
situation without remaking web references. Is there something I can do in
web.config or in my client code (the service proxy's .URL property?) to
modify the existing web reference to point at the new location?

Thanks.

John Saunders [MVP]

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Say I have an .asmx that has been in develoment in my local IIS virtual
> directory and I've been accessing it with a development version of a
> client (also in local IIS virtual directory). Everything works fine.
>
> Now, I deploy my webservice (.asmx) to a production server (also running
> IIS, but obviously in a different virtual directory).
>
> Sure, I could just re-make my client's web reference to point to the new
> location for the web service, but there must be some way to deal with this
> situation without remaking web references. Is there something I can do in
> web.config or in my client code (the service proxy's .URL property?) to
> modify the existing web reference to point at the new location?

The right way to do it is to set the Url property.
John Saunders | MVP - Windows Server System - Connected System Developer

Scott M.

Ok, that's what I was thinking.

Thanks John.

"John Saunders [MVP]" <john.saunders at trizetto.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Scott M." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Say I have an .asmx that has been in develoment in my local IIS virtual
>> directory and I've been accessing it with a development version of a
>> client (also in local IIS virtual directory). Everything works fine.
>>
>> Now, I deploy my webservice (.asmx) to a production server (also running
>> IIS, but obviously in a different virtual directory).
>>
>> Sure, I could just re-make my client's web reference to point to the new
>> location for the web service, but there must be some way to deal with
>> this situation without remaking web references. Is there something I can
>> do in web.config or in my client code (the service proxy's .URL
>> property?) to modify the existing web reference to point at the new
>> location?

> The right way to do it is to set the Url property.
> John Saunders | MVP - Windows Server System - Connected System Developer

Steven Cheng

Hi Scott,

Yes, as long as the webservice(or its WSDL) hasn't been changed, the client
proxy should remain the same. Therefore, when you deploy webservice to
another location, just modify the client proxy's Url property. Also, .NET
project by default store proxy's url property in App.config file, you can
simply change this value in app.config file without modify code.

Best regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

suggestions about how we

can improve the support we provide to you. Please feel free to let my
manager know what you think of

the level of service provided. You can send feedback directly to my manager
at: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed).

--------------------
>From: "Scott M." <(E-Mail Removed)>

<(E-Mail Removed)>

----
>> John Saunders | MVP - Windows Server System - Connected System Developer

Enterprise Library deployment problem. Why needs to InstallUtil DLLs to the deployment server? If not, Registry Error whould shown. Benny Ng ASP .Net 0 10-03-2005 05:40 AM
deployment question Dicky Cheng ASP .Net 3 12-01-2004 01:49 AM
Deployment Question Srinu ASP .Net 0 04-01-2004 12:49 AM
Re: ASP.NET \ VB.NET Runtime Deployment Question Kevin Spencer ASP .Net 5 12-27-2003 02:37 PM
Deployment Question Brad Markisohn ASP .Net 1 08-07-2003 02:01 AM

Advertisments