Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > Riddle me this....

Riddle me this....

jim

I have been tasked with the upkeep of several (as many as 60) websites for a
small franchise.

Each store has it's own domain currently hosted at it's own web host. Each
store's website is drastically different from every other.

They'd like a unified face on the franchises - which makes perfect sense.

I'd like to host a single site and simply use asp.net or php to customize
the pages where needed (copyrights, store locations, about us, etc.).

Since each store already has a web hosting company and website, would there
be a way to place some code on their site that displayed my central site
with their customized information WITHOUT using frames (because frames make
bookmarking difficult for end users)?

Or, should I just tell them that I'll host everything and use a central site
that handles everything for every franchisee? If this is the case, what web
host would you suggest using? I am not thrilled with my current web hosting
company (Brinkster).

jim

larry@portcommodore.com

Working on similar things, I know it can get quite ugly. You could
use includes but it really gets messy having part data local and part
remote.

I would try to get it all one domain, set up the franchise specific
data in a database (and any pics as specifically named files -
storexxx.jpg) and host it all at corporate. You can let the
franchises keep thier domains, but on their site, use header() to
redirect to the corporate site (along with a ?storeid=xxx on the URL)
This way they can keep their email addresses.

Larry

jim

"Jerry Stuckle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> jim wrote:
>> I have been tasked with the upkeep of several (as many as 60) websites
>> for a small franchise.
>>
>> Each store has it's own domain currently hosted at it's own web host.
>> Each store's website is drastically different from every other.
>>
>> They'd like a unified face on the franchises - which makes perfect sense.
>>
>> I'd like to host a single site and simply use asp.net or php to customize
>> the pages where needed (copyrights, store locations, about us, etc.).
>>
>> Since each store already has a web hosting company and website, would
>> there be a way to place some code on their site that displayed my central
>> site with their customized information WITHOUT using frames (because
>> frames make bookmarking difficult for end users)?
>>
>> Or, should I just tell them that I'll host everything and use a central
>> site that handles everything for every franchisee? If this is the case,
>> what web host would you suggest using? I am not thrilled with my current
>> web hosting company (Brinkster).
>>
>> jim

> It would be much easier to handle everything on one website. And if you
> wish, you could keep the domains and tailor the output to the domain
> requested. That's mostly Apache or IIS configuration.
>
> As to hosting companies - define your requirements and try the forums at
> http://www.webhostingtalk.com for reviews. Be sure to search the forums
> for comments pro and con before buying.

Thanks for the post and the link!

jm

jim

"Jerry Stuckle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> jim wrote:
>> I have been tasked with the upkeep of several (as many as 60) websites
>> for a small franchise.
>>
>> Each store has it's own domain currently hosted at it's own web host.
>> Each store's website is drastically different from every other.
>>
>> They'd like a unified face on the franchises - which makes perfect sense.
>>
>> I'd like to host a single site and simply use asp.net or php to customize
>> the pages where needed (copyrights, store locations, about us, etc.).
>>
>> Since each store already has a web hosting company and website, would
>> there be a way to place some code on their site that displayed my central
>> site with their customized information WITHOUT using frames (because
>> frames make bookmarking difficult for end users)?
>>
>> Or, should I just tell them that I'll host everything and use a central
>> site that handles everything for every franchisee? If this is the case,
>> what web host would you suggest using? I am not thrilled with my current
>> web hosting company (Brinkster).
>>
>> jim

> It would be much easier to handle everything on one website. And if you
> wish, you could keep the domains and tailor the output to the domain
> requested. That's mostly Apache or IIS configuration.
>
> As to hosting companies - define your requirements and try the forums at
> http://www.webhostingtalk.com for reviews. Be sure to search the forums
> for comments pro and con before buying.

BTW, that link blows. Do you know that you cannot post URLs in your "first
5 posts" in that forum?

How crazy is that? I needed to post sample URLs to show what I hate about
my current hosting provider's handling of subdomains. So, I had to hack up
the URLs to get past that very annoying (and completely useless - IMHO)
limitation.

Thanks anyway. We'll see if I get any replies before they kick me off the
forum.....

jim

jim

news:um$t%(E-Mail Removed)...
> "jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:0opwj.95722$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>
> [cross-posting removed]

WAH HOO! Newsgroup police!

We wouldn't want to spread any knowledge around now would we?

[cross-posting re-added]

>> If this is the case, what web host would you suggest using?

> http://www.hostinguk.net/services/pl...ting_plans.asp

Not a bad hosting plan. But, I did find this a bit strange...."Price:
249.99 per year or 20.83 a month" - you actually save a few cents by
paying monthly. In the states, you usually get a discount for paying for
the whole year up front.

> I already do almost exactly what you are intending to do, for around 30
> bands and music sites...
>
> E.g. click the Log In button in the top right-hand corner of the following
> sites:
> http://www.inthecage.co.uk/home/default.aspx
> http://www.sanctuaryrig.co.uk/home/default.aspx
> http://www.kcityradio.co.uk/home/default.aspx
>
> That's exactly the same site - just different themes, etc...

Yes. I think I'll host all of the sites myself and either take over the
domain name administration as a part of the service or simply redirect their
site to mine with a store ID to retrive the correct data and build the pages
dynamically.

Thanks for the post....and feel free to let the information flow. It's nice
to help others.

jim

jim

"Jerry Stuckle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> jim wrote:
>> "Jerry Stuckle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

>>> It would be much easier to handle everything on one website. And if you
>>> wish, you could keep the domains and tailor the output to the domain
>>> requested. That's mostly Apache or IIS configuration.
>>>
>>> As to hosting companies - define your requirements and try the forums at
>>> http://www.webhostingtalk.com for reviews. Be sure to search the forums
>>> for comments pro and con before buying.

>> BTW, that link blows. Do you know that you cannot post URLs in your
>> "first 5 posts" in that forum?
>>
>> How crazy is that? I needed to post sample URLs to show what I hate
>> about my current hosting provider's handling of subdomains. So, I had to
>> hack up the URLs to get past that very annoying (and completely useless -
>> IMHO) limitation.
>>
>> Thanks anyway. We'll see if I get any replies before they kick me off
>> the forum.....
>>
>> jim

> Yes, that's standard to keep down the spam. It's one of the things I like
> about the site.
>
> But you don't need to post a URL to tell people about your problems.

Perhaps. But, I find it very useful when describing the following....

"I do have one pet peeve. Let's say I am hosting many domains as subdomains
under my account. Let's further assume that one domain is abc.com and one is
123.com.

Currently, at Brinkster, I'd have abc.com in folder root/abc and 123 in
root/123. Even redirecting the domains to the proper folder, the address bar
URLS always look like http://www.abc.com/abc/home.htm or
http://ww.123.com/123/home.htm. I want them to look like
http://www.abc.com/home.htm and Http://www.123.com/home.htm - without the
references to the subfolders that they are actually in on the server."

jim

Riddle me this Sharp Tool Java 29 11-10-2005 12:20 PM
A riddle with generics, cannot get it to work. HK Java 0 07-13-2005 02:50 PM
Riddle me this javascript please. Big Bill HTML 33 10-07-2004 11:04 PM
Database Results Riddle magmike HTML 18 08-08-2004 05:53 PM
Riddle Bob H Computer Support 16 05-17-2004 09:27 AM

Advertisments