Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > Design Patterns for a Large Web Service?

Design Patterns for a Large Web Service?

Spam Catcher

Hello Everyone,

I'm preparing to build a large web service that spans 10 - 15 components
with each component having 10 - 20 methods each.

What is the best way to organize such a web service?

Should each component have it's own ASMX file?

Should I have one large ASMX file with all the functions?

Should I have a couple main functions which accept a DTO that describes
what to process?

Some of the functions I'll be building include:

Starting/Stopping Services
Retrieving data from a subsystem (i.e. List of Campaigns, Creating Users,
etc.)

Are there any documents online that have information on how to organize a
large web service? Most of the examples I've seen only deal with trival 1
or 2 method HelloWorld type examples.

Thanks!

--
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Do not e-mail)

Mr. Arnold

"Spam Catcher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9A438140C467Ausenethoneypotrogers@127.0.0. 1...
> Are there any documents online that have information on how to organize a
> large web service? Most of the examples I've seen only deal with trival 1
> or 2 method HelloWorld type examples.

<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=design+pattern+for+web+services&btn G=Google+Search>

Spam Catcher

"Mr. Arnold" <MR. (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:#(E-Mail Removed):

> "Spam Catcher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns9A438140C467Ausenethoneypotrogers@127.0.0. 1...
>> Are there any documents online that have information on how to
>> organize a large web service? Most of the examples I've seen only
>> deal with trival 1 or 2 method HelloWorld type examples.
>>

> <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...web+services&b
> tnG=Google+Search>

Like I said, most examples I've seen deal with a trival examples.

Now if someone can post useful information, I'll be most appreciative.

Thanks!

--

news:Xns9A43944B1237Busenethoneypotrogers@127.0.0. 1...
> "Mr. Arnold" <MR. (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:#(E-Mail Removed):
>

>> "Spam Catcher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:Xns9A438140C467Ausenethoneypotrogers@127.0.0. 1...
>>> Are there any documents online that have information on how to
>>> organize a large web service? Most of the examples I've seen only
>>> deal with trival 1 or 2 method HelloWorld type examples.
>>>

>> <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...web+services&b
>> tnG=Google+Search>

> Like I said, most examples I've seen deal with a trival examples.
>
> Now if someone can post useful information, I'll be most appreciative.

If you can't find it and you're suppose to have some kind of expertise in
Web services, then where do you think it's going to be? There maybe no
rabbits coming out of the hat for you on this one, and you may have to roll
your own.

Spam Catcher

"Mr. Arnold" <MR. (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

>> Like I said, most examples I've seen deal with a trival examples.
>>
>> Now if someone can post useful information, I'll be most
>> appreciative.
>>

> If you can't find it and you're suppose to have some kind of expertise
> in Web services, then where do you think it's going to be? There
> maybe no rabbits coming out of the hat for you on this one, and you
> may have to roll your own.

I was asking for suggestions, if you don't have any suggestions, please do
not respond.

--

news:Xns9A43C43FEB02Busenethoneypotrogers@127.0.0. 1...
> "Mr. Arnold" <MR. (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>>> Like I said, most examples I've seen deal with a trival examples.
>>>
>>> Now if someone can post useful information, I'll be most
>>> appreciative.
>>>

>> If you can't find it and you're suppose to have some kind of expertise
>> in Web services, then where do you think it's going to be? There
>> maybe no rabbits coming out of the hat for you on this one, and you
>> may have to roll your own.
>>

> I was asking for suggestions, if you don't have any suggestions, please do
> not respond.

When I first got into design patterns, I used the Head First Design
patterns which was in Java, because there was nothing for .Net, which I was
able to apply those patterns to .Net solutions.

Here is some stuff for Java Web services that you maybe able to apply or
maybe some other Java books in the area, which was in the link I provided as
a whole. I doubt that you're going to find anything dealing with .Net Web
services other than Hello World.

http://www.amazon.com/Web-Services-P.../dp/1590590848

Spam Catcher

"Mr. Arnold" <MR. (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> When I first got into design patterns, I used the Head First Design
> patterns which was in Java, because there was nothing for .Net, which
> I was able to apply those patterns to .Net solutions.
>
> Here is some stuff for Java Web services that you maybe able to apply
> or maybe some other Java books in the area, which was in the link I
> provided as a whole. I doubt that you're going to find anything
> dealing with .Net Web services other than Hello World.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Web-Services-P.../dp/1590590848

Thank you, I'll take a look at the book

--
(E-Mail Removed) (Do not e-mail)

John Saunders [MVP]

I've just begun the process of designing a framework for web services in our
company. One thing I found was
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb931187.aspx. It looks very cool.

John Saunders | MVP - Windows Server System - Connected System Developer