Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > Start, Stop, Console

Start, Stop, Console

valentin tihomirov

The Web services are nice but they are hard to debug -- I need to observe
the trace messages in the console (I do not like to have a special debug
application to see the output window.) Additionally, I do not undesrtand the
lifetime cycle -- when the service starts and stops. I would like to control
it simply: start it when I like and stop it by pressing "any key" in the
console.

Jesse Houwing

Hello valentin,

> The Web services are nice but they are hard to debug -- I need to
> observe the trace messages in the console (I do not like to have a
> special debug application to see the output window.) Additionally, I
> do not undesrtand the lifetime cycle -- when the service starts and
> stops. I would like to control it simply: start it when I like and
> stop it by pressing "any key" in the console.

What you'd like and what is possible are two completely separate things.
I'd suggest you read a bit of the documentation concerning webservices (they
live in IIS basically) and then accept that's how they work. You can write
trace messages to the event viewer or to a database if needed.

Jesse

Mr. Arnold

"valentin tihomirov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The Web services are nice but they are hard to debug -- I need to observe
> the trace messages in the console (I do not like to have a special debug
> application to see the output window.) Additionally, I do not undesrtand
> the lifetime cycle -- when the service starts and stops. I would like to
> control it simply: start it when I like and stop it by pressing "any key"
> in the console.

You can set the service.timeout = -1 // infinity

That way, you can possibly debug a solution in the .Net IDE that's calling
upon the Web service and the solution will not timeout on you.