Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > Trying to Authenticate to a remote Webservice

Trying to Authenticate to a remote Webservice

Chip

Hi -

I have an ASP.NET Webservice that needs to call a "remote Webservice"
as a specific user, different from the User that is calling MY
Webservice, but I'm not able to find what it is I need to do to take
the User Name and Domain that are parameters to MY Webservice and
authenticate to the remote Webservice.

I'm certain that it's not rocket science, I'm just not familiar enough
with this part of things to be able to kmopw what to do.

BTW: I'm doing this in VB.NET

<WebMethod()> _
Public Function ContactCreate(ByVal entity As
System.Xml.XmlElement, User as String, Domain as String) As
System.Guid
Dim ws As New ContactWebService
Try
' ------------------------------------------------------------
' (I'm Assuming that there is SOMETHING that I do to/with my
ContactWebService instance (which was generated via the wsdl.exe
program)
' ------------------------------------------------------------
Return ws.Create(entity)
Catch ex As Exception
Dim evntLog As New System.Diagnostics.EventLog("",
System.Environment.MachineName, "Start")
evntLog.WriteEntry("Excpetion Caught: " + ex.Message,
System.Diagnostics.EventLogEntryType.Information, 2)
End Try
End Function

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance
Chip

John Saunders [MVP]

"Chip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi -
>
> I have an ASP.NET Webservice that needs to call a "remote Webservice"
> as a specific user, different from the User that is calling MY
> Webservice, but I'm not able to find what it is I need to do to take
> the User Name and Domain that are parameters to MY Webservice and
> authenticate to the remote Webservice.
>
> I'm certain that it's not rocket science, I'm just not familiar enough
> with this part of things to be able to kmopw what to do.
>
> BTW: I'm doing this in VB.NET
>
> <WebMethod()> _
> Public Function ContactCreate(ByVal entity As
> System.Xml.XmlElement, User as String, Domain as String) As
> System.Guid
> Dim ws As New ContactWebService
> Try
> ' ------------------------------------------------------------
> ' (I'm Assuming that there is SOMETHING that I do to/with my
> ContactWebService instance (which was generated via the wsdl.exe
> program)
> ' ------------------------------------------------------------
> Return ws.Create(entity)
> Catch ex As Exception
> Dim evntLog As New System.Diagnostics.EventLog("",
> System.Environment.MachineName, "Start")
> evntLog.WriteEntry("Excpetion Caught: " + ex.Message,
> System.Diagnostics.EventLogEntryType.Information, 2)
> End Try
> End Function
>

> Can someone please point me in the right direction?

There's no generic answer to this question. It depends entirely on the
remote service. For instance, it appears that the Create operation doesn't
want your username and password, but perhaps there's a Login operation that
does. There's no way for us to know, so you should ask the people who are in
charge of the remote service.
--
John Saunders [MVP]