Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > netgear wireless router https problem

netgear wireless router https problem

bershtman@gmail.com

I have a NETGEAR wgr614v5 wireless router connected to cable internet.
My desktop connected by wire & laptop wireless.
I have a problem with laptop to see any of the https sites.
Please note:
1.no firewall on notebook
2.desktop connected with no problem
3.on laptop SSL ,TSL and so on enabled

Help, please !

Malke

> I have a NETGEAR wgr614v5 wireless router connected to cable internet.
> My desktop connected by wire & laptop wireless.
> I have a problem with laptop to see any of the https sites.
> Please note:
> 1.no firewall on notebook
> 2.desktop connected with no problem
> 3.on laptop SSL ,TSL and so on enabled
>
> Help, please !

This is not because of the wireless connection. Assuming you have XP,
you have to re-register the following dll's at the command prompt.

If you have SP2, you can do it all in one go:

Start>Run cmd [enter]
iexplore.exe /rereg [enter]

Without SP2:

Start>Run cmd [enter]
regsvr32 mshtml.dll [enter]

Click OK when you get the message that DLLRegisterServer in FileName
succeeded and type "exit" to quit cmd.

Repeat the same with:

regsvr32 mshtmled.dll
regsvr32 urlmon.dll
regsvr32 softpub.dll
regsvr32 wintrust.dll
regsvr32 initpki.dll
regsvr32 dssenh.dll
regsvr32 rsaenh.dll
regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll
regsvr32 sccbase.dll
regsvr32 slbcsp.dll
regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll

More information about this:

Troubleshooting Secure Site (WinXP/IE6 SP2)
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=870700

Troubleshooting Secure Sites (WinXP/IE6 SP1)

Sandi's Secure Sites Page
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/ie_2.html

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

phi11yphan phi11yphan is offline
Junior Member

Actually, had same problem here, and the previous solution listed here did not work for me. Netgear model WNR834M. Couldn't connect to certain HTTPS/secure websites -- mostly of the financial kind.

My resolution was something I would have never figured, had it not been for a web search. I had to go into the netgear wireless router configuration, navigate to the WAN setup section, and change the MTU settings. Imagine that -- the MTU setting was the problem. I was set on 1500, and that wasn't working for the https website (Chase and Washington Mutual.) Neither did 1492. So, I changed it to 1400... and BINGO. I was finally able to visit the website and pay my mortgage! (Doubt they'd let me use that technical pain as an excuse for a late payment....)

At any rate, this is really only a workaround; because it's inconvenient to toy with the MTU settings each time I need to visit specific HTTPS websites. And leaving the MTU at 1400 was causing the Verizon router to crash (or drop my internet connection) too frequently; so that wasn't a long-term solution either.

Good luck!

YoshQ YoshQ is offline
Junior Member

I have this same problem but my router is linksys and the site i'm trying to connect to is secure.mlgpro.com/store/

what should I set my mtu to?

and Start>Run cmd [enter]
regsvr32 mshtml.dll [enter] didn't work, but the rest did

edit: oh great, 2008... sorry guys lol

Last edited by YoshQ; 03-15-2010 at 11:41 PM..