Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > 2.0 framework calling WCF service

2.0 framework calling WCF service

Greg

I have just created a WCF service that is using WShttpbasic and all is good
when another .net 3.0 application consumes it. However, I have legacy apps
that must use this service and are running on .net 2.0 and are housed on
Windows 2000 servers.

I have been unable to find ANY info on how to do this, or if it is even
possible.
I find it hard to believe that WCF would not be able to be consumed by 2.0
applications.

Please help!

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

WS-Basic Profile? Download WSE 3.0 from MSDN.

As far as contacting WCF services, there is no problem. It is merely a WSDL
endpoint (technically more, but you can create the "web" reference to a WCF
service). The only potential gotcha I can think of right now is if you are
using of the new encoding methods. If you are using SOAP, you should be
fine.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think outside the box!
"Greg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have just created a WCF service that is using WShttpbasic and all is good
> when another .net 3.0 application consumes it. However, I have legacy apps
> that must use this service and are running on .net 2.0 and are housed on
> Windows 2000 servers.
>
> I have been unable to find ANY info on how to do this, or if it is even
> possible.
> I find it hard to believe that WCF would not be able to be consumed by 2.0
> applications.
>
> Please help!

Greg

I am able to add the web reference to the project; however when I try to
implement it all that I have to choose from is the Cass object, Interface,
eventargs, and eventhandler.
Example:
OracleService.BasicEmployee;
OracleService.GetFullEmployeeByEmployeeIDCompleted EventArgs;
OracleService.GetFullEmployeeByEmployeeIDCompleted EventHandler;
OracleService.WSHttpBinding_IBasicEmployee
(Service = web reference)

In testing I have tried using Service.WSHttpBinding_IBasicEmployee , However
I just get a time out message.
Example:
OracleService.WSHttpBinding_IBasicEmployee proxy = new
WSETesting.OracleService.WSHttpBinding_IBasicEmplo yee();
OracleService.BasicEmployee[] arrayemployee =
proxy.GetEmployeeByEmployeeID("12356987");
OracleService.BasicEmployee;
OracleService.GetFullEmployeeByEmployeeIDCompleted EventArgs;
OracleService.GetFullEmployeeByEmployeeIDCompleted EventHandler;
OracleService.WSHttpBinding_IBasicEmployee
foreach (OracleService.BasicEmployee emp in arrayemployee)
{
string me = emp.FirstName;
}

I have also tried to run the wsdl.exe I received the following error:
Microsoft (R) Web Services Description Language Utility
[Microsoft (R) .NET Framework, Version 2.0.50727.42]

Warning: This web reference does not conform to WS-I Basic Profile v1.1.

SOAP 1.1 binding was not found: WS-I's Basic Profile 1.1 consists of
implementation
guidelines that recommend how a set of core Web services specifications
should
be used together to develop interoperable Web services. For the 1.1 Profile,
those specifications are SOAP 1.1, WSDL 1.1, UDDI 2.0, XML 1.0 and XML Schema.

For more details on the WS-I Basic Profile v1.1, see the specification
at http://www.ws-i.org/Profiles/BasicProfile-1.1.html.

Warning: one or more optional WSDL extension elements were ignored.
Warnings were encountered. Review generated source comments for more details.

Listed below is the Service code:
(Employee.cs)
using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.Text;
using System.ServiceModel;
using System.Runtime.Serialization;

namespace OracleServices.OracleContracts
{
[DataContract()]
public class BasicEmployee
{

private string _employeeID;
private string _firstName;
private string _lastName;
private string _middleName;
private string _suffix;
private string _supervisorID;
private string _email;
private string _title;
private string _ssn;
private string _workPhone;
private string _companyCode;
private string _companyDesciption;
private string _locationcode;
private string _dateofbirth;
private string _employmentDate;
private string _employeeTerminationDate;
private string _terminationAppliedDate;

[DataMember(Order = 0)]
public string EmployeeID
{
get { return _employeeID; }
set { _employeeID = value; }
}

[DataMember(Order = 1)]
public string FirstName
{
get { return _firstName; }
set { _firstName = value; }
}

[DataMember(Order = 2)]
public string LastName
{
get { return _lastName; }
set { _lastName = value; }
}

[DataMember(Order = 3)]
public string MiddleName
{
get { return _middleName; }
set { _middleName = value; }
}

[DataMember(Order = 4)]
public string Suffix
{
get { return _suffix; }
set { _suffix = value; }
}

[DataMember(Order = 5)]
public string SupervisorID
{
get { return _supervisorID; }
set { _supervisorID = value; }
}

[DataMember(Order = 6)]
public string Email
{
get { return _email; }
set { _email = value; }
}

[DataMember(Order = 7)]
public string Title
{
get { return _title; }
set { _title = value; }
}

[DataMember(Order = ]
public string SSN
{
get{return _ssn;}
set { _ssn = value; }
}

[DataMember(Order = 9)]
public string WorkPhone
{
get { return _workPhone; }
set { _workPhone = value; }
}

[DataMember(Order = 10)]
public string CompanyCode
{
get { return _companyCode; }
set { _companyCode = value; }
}

[DataMember(Order = 11)]
public string CompanyDescription
{
get { return _companyDesciption; }
set { _companyDesciption = value; }
}

[DataMember(Order = 12)]
public string LocationCode
{
get { return _locationcode; }
set { _locationcode = value; }
}

[DataMember(Order = 13)]
public string DateOfBirth
{
get { return _dateofbirth; }
set { _dateofbirth = value; }
}

[DataMember(Order = 14)]
public string EmploymentDate
{
get { return _employmentDate; }
set { _employmentDate = value; }
}

[DataMember(Order = 15)]
public string EmployeeTerminationDate
{
get { return _employeeTerminationDate; }
set { _employeeTerminationDate = value; }
}

[DataMember(Order = 16)]
public string TerminationAppliedDate
{
get { return _terminationAppliedDate; }
set { _terminationAppliedDate = string.Empty; }
}

public BasicEmployee(string employeeID, string firstName, string
lastName,
string middleName, string suffix, string
supervisorID,
string email, string title, string ssn,
string workNumber,
string companyCode,string
companyDescription,string locationCode,string dateofbirth,
string employmentDate, string
employeeTerminationDate, string terminationAppliedDate)
{
EmployeeID = employeeID;
FirstName = firstName;
LastName = lastName;
MiddleName = _middleName;
Suffix = suffix;
SupervisorID = supervisorID;
Email = email;
Title = title;
SSN = ssn;
WorkPhone = workNumber;
companyCode = companyCode;
CompanyDescription = companyDescription;
LocationCode = locationCode;
DateOfBirth = dateofbirth;
EmploymentDate = employmentDate;
EmployeeTerminationDate = employeeTerminationDate;
TerminationAppliedDate = terminationAppliedDate;

}
}
}
(IBasicEmployee.svc)
using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.Text;
using System.ServiceModel;

namespace OracleServices.OracleContracts
{
[ServiceContract(Namespace = "http://EMSC.OracleServices")]

public interface IBasicEmployee
{
[OperationContract()]

List<BasicEmployee> GetEmployeeByEmployeeID(string employeeID);

[OperationContract()]
List<BasicEmployee> GetEmployeeByLastName(string lastName);

[OperationContract()]
List<BasicEmployee> GetEmployeeByLastName_FirstName(string lastName,
string firstName);

[OperationContract()]
List<BasicEmployee> GetEmployeeBySSN(string ssn);

[OperationContract()]
List<BasicEmployee> GetDirectReportsBySupervisorID(string
supervisorID);

[OperationContract()]
List<BasicEmployee> GetSupervisorByEmployeeID(string supervisorID);

[OperationContract()]
List<FullEmployee> GetFullEmployeeByEmployeeID(string employeeID);

[OperationContract()]
List<BasicEmployee> GetEmployeeByLastName_4SSN(string lastName,
string ssn);
}
}

"Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer)" wrote:

> WS-Basic Profile? Download WSE 3.0 from MSDN.
>
> As far as contacting WCF services, there is no problem. It is merely a WSDL
> endpoint (technically more, but you can create the "web" reference to a WCF
> service). The only potential gotcha I can think of right now is if you are
> using of the new encoding methods. If you are using SOAP, you should be
> fine.
>
> --
> Gregory A. Beamer
> MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
> http://gregorybeamer.spaces.live.com

> Think outside the box!
> "Greg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have just created a WCF service that is using WShttpbasic and all is good
> > when another .net 3.0 application consumes it. However, I have legacy apps
> > that must use this service and are running on .net 2.0 and are housed on
> > Windows 2000 servers.
> >
> > I have been unable to find ANY info on how to do this, or if it is even
> > possible.
> > I find it hard to believe that WCF would not be able to be consumed by 2.0
> > applications.
> >
> > Please help!

Greg

Also, here are the bindings stated in the web config of the WCF service.
<service name="OracleService" behaviorConfiguration="returnFaults">
<endpoint contract="OracleServices.OracleContracts.IBasicEmp loyee"
binding="wsHttpBinding"/>
<endpoint
contract="OracleServices.OracleContracts.IBasicEmp loyeeEmploymentStatus"
binding="wsHttpBinding"/>
<endpoint
contract="OracleServices.OracleContracts.IBasicEmp loyeePersonalAddress"
binding="wsHttpBinding"/>
<endpoint
contract="OracleServices.OracleContracts.IEmployee Locations"
binding="wsHttpBinding"/>
<endpoint
contract="OracleServices.OracleContracts.ILinkOrac leMessage"
binding="wsHttpBinding"/>
</service>

"Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer)" wrote:

> WS-Basic Profile? Download WSE 3.0 from MSDN.
>
> As far as contacting WCF services, there is no problem. It is merely a WSDL
> endpoint (technically more, but you can create the "web" reference to a WCF
> service). The only potential gotcha I can think of right now is if you are
> using of the new encoding methods. If you are using SOAP, you should be
> fine.
>
> --
> Gregory A. Beamer
> MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
> http://gregorybeamer.spaces.live.com

> Think outside the box!
> "Greg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have just created a WCF service that is using WShttpbasic and all is good
> > when another .net 3.0 application consumes it. However, I have legacy apps
> > that must use this service and are running on .net 2.0 and are housed on
> > Windows 2000 servers.
> >
> > I have been unable to find ANY info on how to do this, or if it is even
> > possible.
> > I find it hard to believe that WCF would not be able to be consumed by 2.0
> > applications.
> >
> > Please help!

Greg

I have been able to consume this WCF service as long as the binding is set to
BasicHTTP.

What do i need to do to consume the WCF service with the bindings set to
wsHttpBinding. (i have WS 3.0 installed)
If you can point me to some codesamples this would be appreciated.

"Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer)" wrote:

> WS-Basic Profile? Download WSE 3.0 from MSDN.
>
> As far as contacting WCF services, there is no problem. It is merely a WSDL
> endpoint (technically more, but you can create the "web" reference to a WCF
> service). The only potential gotcha I can think of right now is if you are
> using of the new encoding methods. If you are using SOAP, you should be
> fine.
>
> --
> Gregory A. Beamer
> MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
> http://gregorybeamer.spaces.live.com

> Think outside the box!
> "Greg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I have just created a WCF service that is using WShttpbasic and all is good
> > when another .net 3.0 application consumes it. However, I have legacy apps
> > that must use this service and are running on .net 2.0 and are housed on
> > Windows 2000 servers.
> >
> > I have been unable to find ANY info on how to do this, or if it is even
> > possible.
> > I find it hard to believe that WCF would not be able to be consumed by 2.0
> > applications.
> >
> > Please help!

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

This could be a disparity between the Microsoft world and Oracle, based on
the objects you are talking about. Oracle TechNet might have some options,
as might support.microsoft.com. Neither is extremely good at helping the
other, however, so I am not sure how much this will yield. Will see if I
find anything.