Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > Difference between SoapDocumentMethod(OneWay=true)] and OneWay Att

Difference between SoapDocumentMethod(OneWay=true)] and OneWay Att

John Bailey

Does anyone know what the difference between the
SoapDocumentMethod(OneWay=true)] and the [OneWay] attribute? According to
the documentation, both seem to specifiy that a web service method is one way
only and does not return any data (a void method essentially).

Could someone please outline the difference between the two? Most of the
documentation I've seen states to use SoapDocumentMethod(OneWay=true)] when
implementing one way methods, but it seems like the OneWay attribute would be
more intuitive (see
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...classtopic.asp).

Thanks

Mariano Omar Rodriguez

The difference is that the OneWayAttribute works for remoting whereas
SoapDocumentMethod(OneWay=true)] works for Web Services.

"John Bailey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone know what the difference between the
> SoapDocumentMethod(OneWay=true)] and the [OneWay] attribute? According to
> the documentation, both seem to specifiy that a web service method is one
> way
> only and does not return any data (a void method essentially).
>
> Could someone please outline the difference between the two? Most of the
> documentation I've seen states to use SoapDocumentMethod(OneWay=true)]
> when
> implementing one way methods, but it seems like the OneWay attribute would
> be
> more intuitive (see
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...classtopic.asp).
>

> Thanks

John Bailey

And if you have a remoting object hosted in IIS that uses the SOAP formater?
Web services are essentially a specific application of remoting; I'm
surprised that there is such a difference.

"Mariano Omar Rodriguez" wrote:

> The difference is that the OneWayAttribute works for remoting whereas
> SoapDocumentMethod(OneWay=true)] works for Web Services.
>
> "John Bailey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Does anyone know what the difference between the
> > SoapDocumentMethod(OneWay=true)] and the [OneWay] attribute? According to
> > the documentation, both seem to specifiy that a web service method is one
> > way
> > only and does not return any data (a void method essentially).
> >
> > Could someone please outline the difference between the two? Most of the
> > documentation I've seen states to use SoapDocumentMethod(OneWay=true)]
> > when
> > implementing one way methods, but it seems like the OneWay attribute would
> > be
> > more intuitive (see
> > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...classtopic.asp).
> >

> > Thanks

John Bailey

Oh, and thanks clearing it up! I appreciate it.