Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > Operation time out while debugging XML web services

Operation time out while debugging XML web services

Sriram Mallajyosula

Hi,

I am consuming a XML web service from an ASP.Net 2.0 application. The The
ASP.Net application does not interact with the database directly. The XML web
service interacts with the database.

I have set breakpoints in my WebForm and my XML web service. Now I start
debugging from the ASP.Net application and at a later point I enter into the
XML web service for debugging. After I have spent some time in debugging the
web services I get an error "Operation time out". This error comes only while
debuging the XML web services. How to resolve this issue.

Should you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact
me.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Sriram Mallajyosula

Manish Bafna

Hi,
To avoid this problem, set the timeout value for the call to the XML Web
service to infinite, as shown in this example:

Service1 obj = new Service1();
obj.TimeOut = -1; // infinite time out.

references :http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...t2(VS.80).aspx
--
Thanks and Regards.
Manish Bafna.

"Sriram Mallajyosula" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am consuming a XML web service from an ASP.Net 2.0 application. The The
> ASP.Net application does not interact with the database directly. The XML web
> service interacts with the database.
>
> I have set breakpoints in my WebForm and my XML web service. Now I start
> debugging from the ASP.Net application and at a later point I enter into the
> XML web service for debugging. After I have spent some time in debugging the
> web services I get an error "Operation time out". This error comes only while
> debuging the XML web services. How to resolve this issue.
>
> Should you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact
> me.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
> Sriram Mallajyosula

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hello Sriram,

Based on your scenario, the front ASP.NET application call another ASP.NET
webservice(asmx) through proxy, there are three settings here concerns the
timeout behavior.

** the httpruntime executionTimeout of the ASP.NET web application
** the webservice proxy's timeout setting(as Manish has pointed out)
** the httpruntime executionTimeout setting of the backend webservice
application

Manish has provided reference to the client proxy's timeout setting, you
can also refer to the following document for ASP.NET application's
executionTimeout setting(in <httpRuntime> configuration element):

#httpRuntime Element (ASP.NET Settings Schema)
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/e1f13641.aspx

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

Sriram Mallajyosula

Hi Manish,

I will try this option and let you know. Is there any other way of doing
this. Because the object for the web service is created in almost all the web
pages which I want to avoid. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Sriram Mallajyosula

"Manish Bafna" wrote:

> Hi,
> To avoid this problem, set the timeout value for the call to the XML Web
> service to infinite, as shown in this example:
>
> Service1 obj = new Service1();
> obj.TimeOut = -1; // infinite time out.
>
> references :http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...t2(VS.80).aspx
> --
> Thanks and Regards.
> Manish Bafna.
> MCP and MCTS.
>

> "Sriram Mallajyosula" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am consuming a XML web service from an ASP.Net 2.0 application. The The
> > ASP.Net application does not interact with the database directly. The XML web
> > service interacts with the database.
> >
> > I have set breakpoints in my WebForm and my XML web service. Now I start
> > debugging from the ASP.Net application and at a later point I enter into the
> > XML web service for debugging. After I have spent some time in debugging the
> > web services I get an error "Operation time out". This error comes only while
> > debuging the XML web services. How to resolve this issue.
> >
> > Should you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact
> > me.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Sriram Mallajyosula

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hello Manish,

If you have many front applications that will use this consume the
webservice(through generated proxy), you can consider move the webservice
proxy out of those front applications and put it into a separate class
library project. Thus, another front applications can simply reference the
class library project and use the shared webservice proxy. And for this
shared webservice proxy, you can do some customization on it, such as
provide a customized constructor which do some additional specific
initialization( e.g. set the Timeout period)...

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

Sriram Mallajyosula

Hi Steven,

But here also I need to change all the web forms to refer to the class
library .
I think I will better use the one mentioned by Manish earlier (change
configuration settings in web.config).

"Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:

> Hello Manish,
>
> If you have many front applications that will use this consume the
> webservice(through generated proxy), you can consider move the webservice
> proxy out of those front applications and put it into a separate class
> library project. Thus, another front applications can simply reference the
> class library project and use the shared webservice proxy. And for this
> shared webservice proxy, you can do some customization on it, such as
> provide a customized constructor which do some additional specific
> initialization( e.g. set the Timeout period)...
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Steven Cheng
>
> Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your reply Sriram,

Yes, as you said, the initial modification is significant if we change to
use a class library. BTW, web.config file can only help changing the
httpruntime executionTimeout, for webservcie proxy timeout, you still need
to manualy configure it in your page code(that call the webservice method)
or in webservice generated proxy's code.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Sriram,

Any further progress on this issue? If there is anything else we can help,
please feel free to post here.