Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > Dynamic Web Service Reference

Dynamic Web Service Reference

bdtmike

How do you build a winform app that consumes web services but the web
service reference is dynamic?

I have to write an app that consumes web services. My development is
off-site and the production web service is behind a firewall that I
can't access remotely. So I need to develop using a test site local
to me but when the app is deployed at the customer it needs to hit on
the production site. Therefore, I need to design this app so that the
actual web references are evaluated at run-time through some sort of
config file. What are "best practices" for doing such a thing? Can
this even be done?

Thanks in Advance.
-Mike

mais

I simply developed my client application in a test environment and changed
the "Url" property of the service at runtime ....

Hope this helps!

Mais

"bdtmike" wrote:

> How do you build a winform app that consumes web services but the web
> service reference is dynamic?
>
> I have to write an app that consumes web services. My development is
> off-site and the production web service is behind a firewall that I
> can't access remotely. So I need to develop using a test site local
> to me but when the app is deployed at the customer it needs to hit on
> the production site. Therefore, I need to design this app so that the
> actual web references are evaluated at run-time through some sort of
> config file. What are "best practices" for doing such a thing? Can
> this even be done?
>
> Thanks in Advance.
> -Mike

Jimmy V

It sounds like you might need some configuration files or registry settings
for your app. You can add a registry key to your client machines as part of
your deployment. The value of the configuration dictates the URL for your
web service reference.

--
Jimmy V
..NET Development Team - CTS, Inc