Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > Webservice can't write a file.

Webservice can't write a file.

WinDev

We got a webservice that will allow a user to upload a file and then it saves
the file somewhere. We are doing this as a web service because the front end
is a windows program.

Problem is, when we try and upload the file, we get the following error
message at the web service:

"Exception Occurred. Error: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password."

This is when we are trying to open the file on the web server.

If the problem the ASP.Net account doesn't have rights to write/create to
the directory it's going to or is it something else. My network guy has set
up the directory so the ASP.NET account has everything except full control.

Any thoughts.

WinDev

Can anybody help with this ? I can't explain why this doesn't work. It works
when we connect locally (although I think the local ASP.Net account is a full
administrator ) it won't work when we go to the delivered web server.

I have checked the server ASP.Net account and it has full complete rights to
the directory I'm trying to write to.

Any thoughts?

"WinDev" wrote:

> We got a webservice that will allow a user to upload a file and then it saves
> the file somewhere. We are doing this as a web service because the front end
> is a windows program.
>
> Problem is, when we try and upload the file, we get the following error
> message at the web service:
>
> "Exception Occurred. Error: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password."
>
> This is when we are trying to open the file on the web server.
>
> If the problem the ASP.Net account doesn't have rights to write/create to
> the directory it's going to or is it something else. My network guy has set
> up the directory so the ASP.NET account has everything except full control.
>
> Any thoughts.

Michel Posseth [MCP]

Personally i think it is plain wrong to give your asp.net process these
rights , every web connected process should have as few rights as is
absolutely necesary ( hint these ar the default settings normally )
,,, i think it is more a program design thingy ..

How would i solve this ?

I would write the file stream to a database ( SQL server ) , on the local
system i would run a local process in my designated user context that would
stream the database contents to a file
i think that your tech guy should be much happier with this solution .

regards

Michel posseth

"WinDev" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...