Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > Architecture Help!!

Architecture Help!!

Innova

I am sure this is a very common scenario, however this first time for me.

My client wants to share some business data with the Suppliers using a web
portal build on .Net.

The web server is hosted at a third party. We are considering using the .net
web service for this purpose. The business data, of course, is inside the
firewall. We are planning a web service sitting inside the firewall
communicating with the Business data (the database). But the question is how
the portal pages on the web server are going to call that web service. What
http address? I know I am missing some basic here, please help.

Thanks,

Innova

Eugen

Maybe this link will help you:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroups...f71&sloc=en-us

Eugen

"Innova" wrote:

> I am sure this is a very common scenario, however this first time for me.
>
> My client wants to share some business data with the Suppliers using a web
> portal build on .Net.
>
> The web server is hosted at a third party. We are considering using the .net
> web service for this purpose. The business data, of course, is inside the
> firewall. We are planning a web service sitting inside the firewall
> communicating with the Business data (the database). But the question is how
> the portal pages on the web server are going to call that web service. What
> http address? I know I am missing some basic here, please help.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Innova

WishMaster

On Feb 7, 5:30 am, Eugen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Maybe this link will help you:
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroups...crosoft.public...
>
> Eugen
>

> "Innova" wrote:
> > I am sure this is a very common scenario, however this first time for me.

> > My client wants to share some business data with the Suppliers using a web
> > portal build on .Net.

> > The web server is hosted at a third party. We are considering using the .net
> > web service for this purpose. The business data, of course, is inside the
> > firewall. We are planning a web service sitting inside the firewall
> > communicating with the Business data (the database). But the question is how
> > the portal pages on the web server are going to call that web service. What
> > http address? I know I am missing some basic here, please help.

> > Thanks,

> > Innova- Hide quoted text -

I would suggest to deploy your web service in DMZ and portal can
access the web service using the http address, where you will host
your web service (just like a website).
As you mentioned that Supplier (I think external systems) are going to
consume your webservice then you have to considard the Direct or
Brokered Authentication during the development of webservice. See the
2nd following link in this message.
How to deploy, see http://www.webservicesarchitect.com/content/
articles/hankison02.asp

Implement the Authentications: see free downloadable book by
Microsoft. Gr8 book.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/t...displayLang=en

Cheers,
Amer