Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > Web Services and SSL

Web Services and SSL

AndyBrew

Hi

We are currently embarking upon a project to develop a suite of web services
to allow the integration of a PDA application with our data server. Our
current thoughts are to setup an SSL certificate on the server and use a
custom username/password authentication mechanism for authentication.

I have reviewed the MSDN documentation with regards security etc. but
haven't found many practical examples, so my questions are: -

1. Do we need to do anything different with regards the development of the
web service to support SSL or does it just work.

2. Are there any good links to documents I have missed?

Thanks in advance

Andy

Mariano Omar Rodriguez

You don't need to do anything diferent in development to publish a Web
Service in SSL.

You can use WSE 3 with UserNameToken assertion to validate the username and
password http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa480575.aspx

"AndyBrew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> We are currently embarking upon a project to develop a suite of web
> services
> to allow the integration of a PDA application with our data server. Our
> current thoughts are to setup an SSL certificate on the server and use a
> custom username/password authentication mechanism for authentication.
>
> I have reviewed the MSDN documentation with regards security etc. but
> haven't found many practical examples, so my questions are: -
>
> 1. Do we need to do anything different with regards the development of the
> web service to support SSL or does it just work.
>
> 2. Are there any good links to documents I have missed?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Andy

WishMaster

On Jan 31, 10:00 am, "Mariano Omar Rodriguez" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> You don't need to do anything diferent in development to publish a Web
> Service in SSL.
>
> You can use WSE 3 with UserNameToken assertion to validate the username and
> passwordhttp://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa480575.aspx
>
> "AndyBrew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > Hi

> > We are currently embarking upon a project to develop a suite of web
> > services
> > to allow the integration of a PDA application with our data server. Our
> > current thoughts are to setup an SSL certificate on the server and use a
> > custom username/password authentication mechanism for authentication.

> > I have reviewed the MSDN documentation with regards security etc. but
> > haven't found many practical examples, so my questions are: -

> > 1. Do we need to do anything different with regards the development of the
> > web service to support SSL or does it just work.

> > 2. Are there any good links to documents I have missed?

> > Thanks in advance

> > Andy

Hi Andy:

For SSL you don't need to do anything.
For Username and Pwd, you can use SOAP Headers Authentication in your
web service.
Have a look at http://aspalliance.com/805

Cheers,
Amer
MCSD.Net
ITIL Certified

AndyBrew

Hi Guys

Many thanks for that, a further question what is the benefit of using the
SOAP header method against passing through your own username/password/pin
number combination in the method signature???

Can SOAP header authentication handle a pin number as well as username and
password?

Many thanks

Andy

WishMaster

On Feb 2, 12:53 am, AndyBrew <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> Many thanks for that, a further question what is the benefit of using the
> SOAP header method against passing through your own username/password/pin
> number combination in the method signature???
>
> Can SOAP header authentication handle a pin number as well as username and
> password?
>
> Many thanks
>
> Andy

Andy,

I haven't try but use username and pwd only but technically it is
possible because as you can see at (http://aspalliance.com/805) your
class AuthSoapHd is inherited from SoapHeader and you can specify the
fields whatever you want.

public class AuthSoapHd: SoapHeader
{
public string strUserName;
public string strPassword;
}

you can have like...
public class AuthSoapHd: SoapHeader
{
public string strPIN;
}

I thnik should work.

Cheers,
Amer

wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> Many thanks for that, a further question what is the benefit of using the
> SOAP header method against passing through your own username/password/pin
> number combination in the method signature???
>
> Can SOAP header authentication handle a pin number as well as username and
> password?
>
> Many thanks
>
> Andy

Hi Andy, Sorry forgot ur fist question, I would say it is a standard
to implement security and right use of protocal.
on the top of that it a one of SOA security pattern.

If you want to go advance or try some more options please see WSE 3.0
and X.509 at

Cheers,
Amer