Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > Non-negative number required. Parameter name: byteCount

Non-negative number required. Parameter name: byteCount

James

How can this issue be resolved (in the subject). bytecount is not a
parameter in my functions. I read from some other groups that this is
related to the IP change whil the transactions take place. Any solution for
this?

Thanks
James

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hello James,

From your description, you're getting the following error when calling a
certain ASP.NET webservice.

<Non-negative number required. Parameter name: byteCount>

As for the this problem, I'd like to confrom the following things:

1. Are you getting this error at client-side (webservice proxy)

2. Is your ASP.NET server service built on ASP.NET 1.1 or 2.0?

Based on my research, the error message you were getting "Non-negative
number required. Parameter name: byteCount" is basically a known issue in
our error handling code in .NET 1.1 framework. Here is the detailed
description on this:

The server is returning a response to the client. This response was an HTTP
200
response, so the .NET framework will process this expecting a normal soap
envelope.
The problem however is that the content (or error message) returned from
the server
had a content type of '' instead of 'text/xml', which is what we expect for
the
soap 1.1 protocol, or if you were using soap 1.2 protocol we would have
excepted
the content type of 'application/soap+xml'.

At the point when we see this incorrect content type we try to raise an
InvalidOperationException with the message text of client found response
content
type of '{0}', but expected '{1}' where we'd replace the place holders with
the
values we found and expected respectively. We call some internal methods
that tries
to read the response stream but we have a bug which passes a negative
number into
the number of characters we are to read so we get the failure within
GetChars().
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Curerntly what I've found is a workaround here:

Resolution
==================
- Get a network trace of the failing response
- Analyze the response to find out if the server is simply sending an HTTP
200
packet with an error web page or message.
- Take actions on the error message that the server is sending, not on what
the
client is getting while trying to parse the servers error message.
==================

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your reply James,

Yes, currently, for this issue we may need to manually inspect the
server-side error and try avoiding it. BTW, since this is a known issue
recorded, if you want a thorough solution such as a hotfix for your
particular scenario, you can directly contact CSS for further assistance on
this:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/subscripti...t/default.aspx

In addition, you're welcome to submit any request or feedback to our
product feedback center so that the dev team can hear more on this:

http://connect.microsoft.com/feedbac...spx?SiteID=210

Again, thanks for your posting.