Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Computer is not Accessible

Computer is not Accessible

BobD

I don't know where to go from here, help is needed. I have two
computers on my home network. My new laptop (wireless) can access the
other computers shared files and printers, but the other PC desktop
(not-wireless) can see my laptop (via workgroup) but when I try to see
the shared folders I get "MY-LAPTOP is not accessible. .... network
path not found". I got to believe this has nothing to do with the
laptop being wireless, but what do I know, I'm new at this. Thanks for
any replies.

Eric Cross [MVP]

Hello BobD,

If any of the computers have the Windows Firewall enabled, make sure it is
properly configured for file and printer sharing. If you've installed a
third party firewall program like Norton or ZoneAlarm, make sure that it's
configured to allow access on the local area network.

--
Eric Cross
Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)

"BobD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I don't know where to go from here, help is needed. I have two
> computers on my home network. My new laptop (wireless) can access the
> other computers shared files and printers, but the other PC desktop
> (not-wireless) can see my laptop (via workgroup) but when I try to see
> the shared folders I get "MY-LAPTOP is not accessible. .... network
> path not found". I got to believe this has nothing to do with the
> laptop being wireless, but what do I know, I'm new at this. Thanks for
> any replies.

BobD

Eric,

I have Windows HP (Media Edition) with SP2, and I also have Norton.

Should the Windows Firewall be ON, and the Files and Print Sharing be
enabled/checked? If these are set, and it still doesn't work, is it
likely Norton blocking it?

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Jack (MVP-Networking).