Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > System.InvalidOperationException Unable to generate a temporary class error

System.InvalidOperationException Unable to generate a temporary class error

Eric

Hello,

I'm trying to debug a VB.NET dll that calls a web service. I've
customized my References.vb to do some functionality I don't believe
would be possible otherwise.

When I hit the MyBase.New() line in the references.vb file I'm getting
the following message (the name of the cs file changes each time):

System.InvalidOperationException: {"Unable to generate a temporary
class (result=1).
error CS2001: Source file 'C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\ghvplywm.0.cs' could not be
found
error CS2008: No inputs specified

I've tried giving my ASP.NET Machine Account Write access to the
C:\WINDOWS\TEMP directory then full control of this directory, but I'm
still getting the error message. Any idea what to look at next?

-Eric

Eric

Eric wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to debug a VB.NET dll that calls a web service. I've
> customized my References.vb to do some functionality I don't believe
> would be possible otherwise.
>
> When I hit the MyBase.New() line in the references.vb file I'm getting
> the following message (the name of the cs file changes each time):
>
> System.InvalidOperationException: {"Unable to generate a temporary
> class (result=1).
> error CS2001: Source file 'C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\ghvplywm.0.cs' could not be
> found
> error CS2008: No inputs specified
>
> I've tried giving my ASP.NET Machine Account Write access to the
> C:\WINDOWS\TEMP directory then full control of this directory, but I'm
> still getting the error message. Any idea what to look at next?
>
> -Eric

I'm running IIS using my user ID, and I'm an admin on my box, so this
didn't make a whole lot of sense.

>From the SysInternals website, I downloaded logonsessions.exe, a

command line utility.

I then ran logonsessions.exe /p > logonsessions.txt and did a search
for process ID 1636, which was the ID of the dllhost.exe process that I
was attached to in the VS 2005 IDE.

It showed that it was running as:

[7] Logon session 00000000:00094e16:
User name: MyMachineName\IWAM_MyMachineName
Auth package: NTLM
Logon type: Batch
Session: 0
Sid: S-1-5-21-1196832610-2522517657-3672563552-1018
Logon time: 12/13/2006 3:24:16 PM
Logon server: MyMachineName
DNS Domain:
UPN:
1636: C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe

So I gave MyMachineName\IWAM_MyMachineName read and write permissions
to the C:\WINDOWS\TEMP directory and my error went away.