Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > Asynchronous call question- app isn't doing what I expect.

Asynchronous call question- app isn't doing what I expect.

RobGSCL

I suspected that the comm routine in my compact framework app wasn't
acting asyncronously, so I remodelled it using a simple hello world
service with a 5 second sleep. I call the same begin method
sequentially ten times. What I expect to see is the end method fire
after 5 seconds somewhat sequentially. I don't. I see two returns
after 5 seconds, followed by two more after another 5 seconds and so on
until done. I added a beep to my sleepy hello world and it beeps
immediately before the mobile app end method is called. So why is the
web service hanging on to the calls instead of sending them out all at
once. Is it controlled by my cf app, the web service, or IIS?

TIA
Rob

RobGSCL

Ran a network trace and it appears the client is delaying the release
of the requests. Is there a setting that controls this?

TIA
Rob

John Saunders

"RobGSCL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Ran a network trace and it appears the client is delaying the release
> of the requests. Is there a setting that controls this?

How many connections were open at one time? Two?

John

RobGSCL

John Saunders wrote:
> "RobGSCL" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > Ran a network trace and it appears the client is delaying the release
> > of the requests. Is there a setting that controls this?

> How many connections were open at one time? Two?
>
> John

There was a connection for each, but for some reason it "recycled" one
from a previous call.

I did another experiment with varying sleep times. I first fired off a
series of simple helloworlds followed by a sequence of sleepy
helloworlds with varying sleep times. When I changed the number of
simple hello worlds, it changed the order of the returns for the sleepy
hello worlds. The return order was always the same if the number of
simple helloworlds was the same.

The WS client in .netCF must control the connection somehow. I can't
seem to find a way to modify it's behavior.

Rob