Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Sending an alert message to logon user in Web Application

Sending an alert message to logon user in Web Application

Pradeep Kumar C

Hi ,

I am working on a ASP.Net Web Application which need some requirement as given below.

Let's say two user's A and B. When a User A Assign a task to B , Then B need to get some sort of alert message with
out doing any action by B in his web browser, which need to tell User B that user A had assigned him some task and he need to response
back to User A at the same time by and acknowledgement saying he accepted the task or rejected. Here I can not use the
Mail server feature.
Here user B need to get the pop up/alert message at the same time when user A posted the Task.

Is there any solution for this Problem.

Note :
We are using SQL Server 2000 as a database.

Thanks in advance.

Pradeep Kumar C
Project Leader
Cordiant Technologies (P) Limited
Indira Nagar, Kochi, 682020, INDIA

Tel: +91-484-231-1441 x12
Fax: +91-484-231-0529
cell 9847157714
http://www.cordiant.com
- Global Offshore Software Outsourcing Company

Patrik L÷wendahl

Hi,

you could use an IFRAME in your page that polls for activites every 30 sec
or so. When user A posts an item, it copies it to a central queue which code
executed by the IFRAME checks for contents. If found, the IFRAME could popup
a div to user B.

--
Patrik L÷wendahl
www.cshrp.net - 'Elegant code by witty programmers'

"Pradeep Kumar C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
[...]

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Pradeep,

As for your question on let the online user in the web application notify
each other and let the receiver get message automatically without do any
operation, I think Patrik 's suggstion is reasonable. The web application (
no matter asp.net or asp or any other b/s techs) are all request/response
mode in which the client has no persistent connection with the serverside.
So if we need to store the message info at the serverside. And need to
notitfy the user when there is any new updates in the serverside data. We
have to let the client post back to the server constantly to query the
datas. And currently there're two means:

1. Constantly refeshing the page to post back it and query the
database(store messages) at serverside and if there is new updates then add
clientside script so that when the page response return client , the
client script will popup a dialog to notify the user. And since constanly
refreshing page will make the page blinking, so generally we use a hidden
iframe (set width and height as 1 so as to make it not visible to user) to
contain the refreshing page. You can also search on the web for such skills
and it is widely used in online message board system(which have the
functoin to let the online user to send message to each other ).

2. As for the IE browser, we can use DHTML and script code to call
webservcie at serverside. That means, we can expose a serverside message
system intefaces(such as query and udpate) in an asp.net webservice. Then
in asp.net web page, we call the webserice via clientside javascript to
query the database on server so that we don't have to constanly refresh the
page to post back it.

Here is the related reference on DHTML webservice in MSDN:

#About the WebService Behavior
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/a...asp?frame=true

Hope these help. Thanks.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Pradeep,

Have you had a chance to check out the suggestions in my last reply or have
you got any further ideas on this issue? If you have anything unclear or if
there're anything else we can help, please feel free to post here. Thanks.