Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > Cannot access webservices from windows application

Cannot access webservices from windows application

Paul

I am using .NET 1.1 with SP1 under windows xp with a dialup connection
and I cannot access ANY webservices on the internet. I can access them
if they are on the localhost via IIS. I have searched the web for
others that are experiencing this problem and people have suggested
changing the .NET FrameWork settings but not which ones.
Any suggestions would really be appreciated.
Thanks
Paul

Josh Twist

What are you trying to access the Web Service with? Your browser? A
customer .NET 1.1 win app?

If it's the latter, first try accessing the web services using your
browser, (try the WSDL). Check that it's not windows firewall stopping
you getting there.

Also, exactly what happens when you try to access a web service? Do you
get an error? What's the details?

Josh

Paul wrote:
> I am using .NET 1.1 with SP1 under windows xp with a dialup connection
> and I cannot access ANY webservices on the internet. I can access them
> if they are on the localhost via IIS. I have searched the web for
> others that are experiencing this problem and people have suggested
> changing the .NET FrameWork settings but not which ones.
> Any suggestions would really be appreciated.
> Thanks
> Paul

Paul

Thanks for the reply Josh.
To answer your question: I just now tried to run a simple win app
provided with the google api and I get

"An unhandled exception of type 'System.Net.WebException' occurred in
system.dll. Additional information: The underlying connection was
closed: Unable to connect to the remote server."

I made a web app that makes the exact same call as that tried in the
win app and it works fine.

I have tried everything I can think of.
1) Disabled my firewall.
2) Disabled virus software
3) Lifted all restrictions on internet zone secutity

I have seen this problem complained about before in newsgroups but no
solution found.

Thanks again
Paul

Josh Twist wrote:
> What are you trying to access the Web Service with? Your browser? A
> customer .NET 1.1 win app?
>
> If it's the latter, first try accessing the web services using your
> browser, (try the WSDL). Check that it's not windows firewall stopping
> you getting there.
>
> Also, exactly what happens when you try to access a web service? Do you
> get an error? What's the details?
>
> Josh
>

> Paul wrote:
> > I am using .NET 1.1 with SP1 under windows xp with a dialup connection
> > and I cannot access ANY webservices on the internet. I can access them
> > if they are on the localhost via IIS. I have searched the web for
> > others that are experiencing this problem and people have suggested
> > changing the .NET FrameWork settings but not which ones.
> > Any suggestions would really be appreciated.
> > Thanks
> > Paul

Sarat Pediredla

Paul,

Just trying a couple of things. Have you made sure you do not require
any WebCredentials?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...tialsTopic.asp

Secondly, I am assuming the proxy class works fine in web forms but not
win forms? Or are you using web references to create them?