Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > How to intercept the XML requests sent by the proxy?

How to intercept the XML requests sent by the proxy?

Gabriel Lacatus

Hello,

I am trying to intercept and analyze the XML request that is being sent by
the generated web reference to a 3rd party web service. The web service is
giving me an error when calling a method saying I didn't send correct data.
Whilst I am working with objects in my client code I cannot really
understand my mistake. That unless I can actually SEE what does the form of
the serialized XML request look like and compare it to the schema given in
the web service documentation I received.

I have tried overriding the GetResponse method in the web reference file but
I cannot read from the request stream ("This stream does not support seek
operations" exception).

I also tried Soap Extensions but again I can't seem to get my hands on the
data being sent to the web service.
Many of the examples I found on the internet explain how to intercept and
modify a request but in reality the modification is really a complete
replacement of the request so it has nothing to do with actually seeing what
was originally inside that request.

I learnt that TCP sniffers could be used but I don't know the ports used by
the .NET framework to communicate with the remote host. I couldn't find a
good such sniffer anyway...

I am completely lost. Can anybody give a hand?

Thank you.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Gabriel,

Thank you for posting.

Regarding on the intercepting the SOAP message sent by webservice proxy
generated by .net framework, I think you can just some some certain trace
tools like tcpTrace, proxyTrace or traceUtility in soaptoolkit 3.0.

#SOAP Toolkit 3.0
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...0DD-CEEC-4088-
9753-86F052EC8450&displaylang=en

And when you want to start tracing(for your case, we're the webservice
client-side), just start the trace utility and listening on a local
port(specify a unused one, such as 888, and then, forward the request to
the remote destination server(and a specified port, this is usually 80 for
http ). Then, for our webservice proxy's code, we should change its
service url to the local port we specified earlier. e.g:

=================
MyProxy mp = new MyProxy();

mp.Url = "http:localhost:8888/xxxxx/xxxx.xxx";
==================

Then, the SOAP message will be passed through the local 8888 port(our trace
utlity ) first, then be forwarded to the destination server(port) after be
logged.

Hope this helps. If there is anything I missed, please feel free to post

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Community Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security