Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > web service boundaries for service oriented architecture

web service boundaries for service oriented architecture

Purushottam Khandebharad

Can anybody tell me , what does mean by web service boundry in context
of the SOA
can I add wrapper / facade on top of my web service

Henrik Gøttig

Purushottam Khandebharad wrote:
> Can anybody tell me , what does mean by web service boundry in context
> of the SOA
> can I add wrapper / facade on top of my web service

Hi

Afraid of getting flamed, but here's my point of view:

In my opinion it is the opposite way.

The web service is the boundary (the contract you expose to your
clients). You can use a Facade "behind" the Web service to wrap your
business logic layer.

So you have:
Client->Web Service->Coarse grained business facade->Fine grained
business logic

Following the above, you can have multiple web services accessing the
same business facade. Again, the fine grained business logic can be
accessed by multiple course grained business facades.

As always:
It depends... among other things on how "big" the system is in terms of
services. The above point of view *can* be overkill in some situations.

Back to your question:
You *could* place a wrapper around your web service. You will have then
have web services calling web services.

Ideal (in my opion) you wrap your business logic layer (BLL) into a set
of facades and have web services call those.

Regards

Henrik
http://websolver.blogspot.com