Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > What are the enigmatic "offset" numbers in SOAP exception stack traces?

What are the enigmatic "offset" numbers in SOAP exception stack traces?

Jim.Pollard@Blackbaud.com

Hey, all -

I have the dim impression that I'm missing out on some information that
ASP.Net is trying to give me -

I'm getting a SOAP exception on invocation of a method on one of my web
services.

It helpfully provides a "stack trace", as follows:
[SoapException: This session has either not Authenticated or the
session has expired.]

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtoc ol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage
message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean
asyncCall) +1496
System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtoc ol.Invoke(String
methodName, Object[] parameters) +218
..
..
..
....and so forth. Of course, my main clue is the "session not
authenticated" line, but my curiosity is piqued by the numbers (+1496,
+21. What are those? In this context, I'd expect them to be some
sort of offset from an entry point. But they're not line numbers.
Further down in the above stack trace, it references the actual methods
I'm trying to invoke in my web service. I went to the trouble of
pulling my dll up in ILDASM, to see if I could relate the numbers given
as some sort of byte offset from the method entry point in the IL. But
that's not right, either. So, I throw it to the room - can anybody
help me make sense of these numbers?

thanks in advance...