Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > How to reference a dll from asmx?

How to reference a dll from asmx?

Michael Giroux

I have an asmx that Inherits a class that is defined in a dll. The asmx and
dll are in the same directory. The asmx gets compile errors because the
class it inherits is not know. Looking at the generated compile command,
the dll is not being referenced -- there is no /R:my.dll option in the
command line.

I've been searching for several hours but cannot figure out how to cause
ASP.NET to include a /r:mydll in the compile.

Can someone point me to the docs for how to accomplish this?

Thanks

Michael Giroux

Martin Kulov

"Michael Giroux" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I've been searching for several hours but cannot figure out how to cause
> ASP.NET to include a /r:mydll in the compile.
>
> Can someone point me to the docs for how to accomplish this?

Hi Michael,

use the @ Assembly directive. I think it does exactly what you need.

Best,

--
Martin Kulov
http://www.codeattest.com/blogs/martin

MCAD Charter Member
MCSD.NET Early Achiever
MCSD

Michael Giroux

Martin,

> use the @ Assembly directive. I think it does exactly what you need.

Thanks. You are correct, the @Assembly directive is exactly what I needed
but it has one hitch that I'm not sure how to resolve.

If the code in the DLL does not have a namespace, there I cannot figure out
how to reference a DLL. I am able to reference the code as xxx.vb source
file, but when I compile the code into a DLL and reference as a dll, then
the ASMX fails to compile because the referenced class is not found.

Is there something special about using @Assembly with the default namespace?

Michael

Martin Kulov

"Michael Giroux" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If the code in the DLL does not have a namespace, there I cannot figure
> out how to reference a DLL. I am able to reference the code as xxx.vb
> source file, but when I compile the code into a DLL and reference as a
> dll, then the ASMX fails to compile because the referenced class is not
> found.

Michael,
please use Object browser to see what is your namespace in the compiled dll.
I have some doubts that it is not empty. Can you check it, please?