Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > Does .NET 2.0 fix the slow webservice first-time loadup?

Does .NET 2.0 fix the slow webservice first-time loadup?

edzehoo@gmail.com

Hi
There was this annoying problem with .NET 1.1 where a web service
would take 15 secs or more to get loaded into memory upon first access.
After that, subsequent accesses are fast, UNTIL the webservice is left
idle for about 15-20 minutes, then somehow it takes 15 seconds to load
again on the next access (I'm guessing the session gets flushed after a
specific idle time period)

I was told to write a hack that would keep 'hitting' the webservices
every 15 minutes in order to keep the session alive.
But this still somehow feels like a hack.

Does .NET 2.0 fix this? I heard there's this precompile option, but how
does it actually work? I'm using VS 2005 Beta 2 at the moment. Can
anyone give me detailed instructions to 'precompile' a web service?

Thanks to all you guys out there who bothered reading my post

Regards,
Ed Zehoo,
Lead Software Architect
United Software Labs

CESAR DE LA TORRE [MVP]

ASP.NET 2.0 (and Web Services) developed with .NET 2.0 have better
performance, but, the issue you're talking about I think is because of .NET
JIT compilation.
With ASP.NET 2.0 you can get rid of this issue. If you want to pre-compile
your webservice, I think you can do it exactly like you'd do with a ASP.NET
2.0 Web. Look at the follwing URL where you can see how to pre-compile a
ASP.NET Web. Within this article read about "Deployment precompilation /
Precompilation for Deployment":
http://aspalliance.com/717
Basically (with .NET 2.0 BETA 2.0) you do something like:
Aspnet_compiler –p “C:\Dev\WebSite1” –v / C:\Staging
--
CESAR DE LA TORRE
Software Architect

"(E-Mail Removed)" wrote:

> Hi
> There was this annoying problem with .NET 1.1 where a web service
> would take 15 secs or more to get loaded into memory upon first access.
> After that, subsequent accesses are fast, UNTIL the webservice is left
> idle for about 15-20 minutes, then somehow it takes 15 seconds to load
> again on the next access (I'm guessing the session gets flushed after a
> specific idle time period)
>
> I was told to write a hack that would keep 'hitting' the webservices
> every 15 minutes in order to keep the session alive.
> But this still somehow feels like a hack.
>
> Does .NET 2.0 fix this? I heard there's this precompile option, but how
> does it actually work? I'm using VS 2005 Beta 2 at the moment. Can
> anyone give me detailed instructions to 'precompile' a web service?
>
> Thanks to all you guys out there who bothered reading my post
>
> Regards,
> Ed Zehoo,
> Lead Software Architect
> United Software Labs