Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > Converting an application to support Web Services ...

Converting an application to support Web Services ...

Annie

hello guys,

There are many books on how to create web service application from scratch
however I haven't found
any resource to explain how to convert an existing application to support
web services.

As an example, let is say I have a 3-tier architecture application and in
this example let is say I have
a function Search which gets a customer ID and returns a Dataset. How can
wrap up this component
to a web service? Any examples, online resources or any book details will be
appreciated ....

TA

Michael Nemtsev

Hello Annie,

You should understand that WS is just RemoteInterface to your system, in
general WS plays facade role.
So, if u have Search function in some component and want extract it to the
WS the first step you need to undertake
is to create contract. In means that you need create XSD description of your
interface that WS will expose,
and using xsd.exe create a class from you XSD file. In this class you call
your Search function from
component.

A> hello guys,
A> There are many books on how to create web service application from
A> scratch
A> however I haven't found
A> any resource to explain how to convert an existing application to
A> support
A> web services.
A> As an example, let is say I have a 3-tier architecture application
A> and in
A> this example let is say I have
A> a function Search which gets a customer ID and returns a Dataset. How
A> can
A> wrap up this component
A> to a web service? Any examples, online resources or any book details
A> will be
A> appreciated ....
A> TA

---
WBR,
Michael Nemtsev :: blog: http://spaces.msn.com/members/laflour

"At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not
cease to be insipid." (c) Friedrich Nietzsch

Annie

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your information ... however, that is very vague "to create
contract" ... I know what web services is
and how it works ... the way you explain is more type of Message-Oriented WS
which are not very scalable and not
really matching with SOA if I understand your clue correctly. I have never
used WS to create a Middleware for an existing system.

I really, want some details resources ... eg online with a implemented
scenario or a worthy book.

TA

"Michael Nemtsev" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t.com...
> Hello Annie,
>
> You should understand that WS is just RemoteInterface to your system, in
> general WS plays facade role.
> So, if u have Search function in some component and want extract it to the
> WS the first step you need to undertake is to create contract. In means
> that you need create XSD description of your interface that WS will
> expose,
> and using xsd.exe create a class from you XSD file. In this class you call
> your Search function from component.
>

> A> hello guys,
> A> There are many books on how to create web service application from
> A> scratch
> A> however I haven't found
> A> any resource to explain how to convert an existing application to
> A> support
> A> web services.
> A> As an example, let is say I have a 3-tier architecture application
> A> and in
> A> this example let is say I have
> A> a function Search which gets a customer ID and returns a Dataset. How
> A> can
> A> wrap up this component
> A> to a web service? Any examples, online resources or any book details
> A> will be
> A> appreciated ....
> A> TA
> A> ---
> WBR,
> Michael Nemtsev :: blog: http://spaces.msn.com/members/laflour
>
> "At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do
> not cease to be insipid." (c) Friedrich Nietzsche

ViewState

go to www.codeproject.com or msdn comunity you will find lots of info...
there are many books too
"Annie" <(E-Mail Removed)> escreveu na mensagem
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Michael,
>
> Thanks for your information ... however, that is very vague "to create
> contract" ... I know what web services is
> and how it works ... the way you explain is more type of Message-Oriented
> WS which are not very scalable and not
> really matching with SOA if I understand your clue correctly. I have never
> used WS to create a Middleware for an existing system.
>
> I really, want some details resources ... eg online with a implemented
> scenario or a worthy book.
>
> TA
>

> "Michael Nemtsev" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) t.com...
>> Hello Annie,
>>
>> You should understand that WS is just RemoteInterface to your system, in
>> general WS plays facade role.
>> So, if u have Search function in some component and want extract it to
>> the WS the first step you need to undertake is to create contract. In
>> means that you need create XSD description of your interface that WS will
>> expose,
>> and using xsd.exe create a class from you XSD file. In this class you
>> call your Search function from component.
>>

>> A> hello guys,
>> A> There are many books on how to create web service application from
>> A> scratch
>> A> however I haven't found
>> A> any resource to explain how to convert an existing application to
>> A> support
>> A> web services.
>> A> As an example, let is say I have a 3-tier architecture application
>> A> and in
>> A> this example let is say I have
>> A> a function Search which gets a customer ID and returns a Dataset. How
>> A> can
>> A> wrap up this component
>> A> to a web service? Any examples, online resources or any book details
>> A> will be
>> A> appreciated ....
>> A> TA
>> A> ---
>> WBR,
>> Michael Nemtsev :: blog: http://spaces.msn.com/members/laflour
>>
>> "At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do
>> not cease to be insipid." (c) Friedrich Nietzsche

Michael Nemtsev

Hello Annie,

It's not vague, it's standard of the SOA
Maybe u missed smth, but the last version of SOA is not RPC at all,
it's message orient, bases on the document style. And it's why I recoment
to use this kind
of exposing.
Moreover RPC is not scalable, they can't perform very good solution for robust
and scalability
and was obliged to move to the MOM (Message Orient Middleware). See w3c
description of last version of SOA
Now it's a *good* solution if u need to use SOA

I've posted some links in my blog about this, repost them over here

http://www.w3.org/TR/soap12-part2/
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...ntegration.asp
http://msdn.microsoft.com/architectu...srorientwp.asp
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...soiwithnet.asp

A> Thanks for your information ... however, that is very vague "to
A> create
A> contract" ... I know what web services is
A> and how it works ... the way you explain is more type of
A> Message-Oriented WS
A> which are not very scalable and not
A> really matching with SOA if I understand your clue correctly. I have
A> never
A> used WS to create a Middleware for an existing system.
A> I really, want some details resources ... eg online with a
A> implemented scenario or a worthy book.
A>
A> TA
A>
A> "Michael Nemtsev" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
A> news:(E-Mail Removed) t.com...
A>
>> Hello Annie,
>>
>> You should understand that WS is just RemoteInterface to your system,
>> in
>> general WS plays facade role.
>> So, if u have Search function in some component and want extract it
>> to the
>> WS the first step you need to undertake is to create contract. In
>> means
>> that you need create XSD description of your interface that WS will
>> expose,
>> and using xsd.exe create a class from you XSD file. In this class you
>> call
>> your Search function from component.
>> A> hello guys,
>> A> There are many books on how to create web service application from
>> A> scratch
>> A> however I haven't found
>> A> any resource to explain how to convert an existing application to
>> A> support
>> A> web services.
>> A> As an example, let is say I have a 3-tier architecture application
>> A> and in
>> A> this example let is say I have
>> A> a function Search which gets a customer ID and returns a Dataset.
>> How
>> A> can
>> A> wrap up this component
>> A> to a web service? Any examples, online resources or any book
>> details
>> A> will be
>> A> appreciated ....
>> A> TA
>> A> ---
>> WBR,
>> Michael Nemtsev :: blog: http://spaces.msn.com/members/laflour
>> "At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents
>> do not cease to be insipid." (c) Friedrich Nietzsche

---
WBR,
Michael Nemtsev :: blog: http://spaces.msn.com/members/laflour

"At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not
cease to be insipid." (c) Friedrich Nietzsche

Annie

Hello Michael,

I appreciate all your help and time posting the details,

cheers