Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP .Net Web Services > vs2005 consuming web service, adding web reference ?

vs2005 consuming web service, adding web reference ?

only_me

I'm experimenting with web services in vs2005, but the instruction material
I have to refer is based on vs2003. ( I'm OK with ASP but new to .NET)

Problem is as follows, Create a new web service ( via File|New web site),
add in a simple new service based on hello world sample - just 3,4 lines,
This compiles OK, once built clicking on the .asmx file brings up the
"Service" info page with the 2 services listed, clicking on those links
offers the Test etc etc - so I think that is all ok

Now create a simple web form app, and attempt to add a web reference, but
clicking on the "web services on the local machine" shows other services but
not my test one

My training material also shows adding web reference by typing in the full
url to the .disco file in the Add Reference window, but there is no such
file/ file type in the web service project ( but is in 2003 training
materials)

Can any one cast any light on the problem, and help me consume this stuff

TIA

Peter Kelcey

You can just use the URL that points directly to your .asmx file or the
..wsdl file.

I.e. http://localhost/myproject/testservice.asmx

Peter Kelcey

only_me

Ok thanks Think I'm sorted now, the wizard allowed me to 'create' the web
service in the file system rather than in http, so although it seemd to work
when run on its own, it wasn't able to advertise itself to any consumers
Not sure why creating in the file system is a sensible option to offer ( but
then I'm just starting out here)

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...